Destroyed, or beautified GMT400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There should already be laws concerning driving with obstructed view. If they're violating that, give them a ticket for that.

The headlights aiming wrong can be fixed by tilting the mount. If they fail to do that, then they're likely afoul of the state's vehicle safety regs on headlight aiming. Again, give them a ticket for that.

Also, what's the measure on this? If you do a 4/6 drop, your headlights are aimed higher. Did you correct that?. Is a police officer going to use this law as an excuse to pull you over your 4/6 dropped truck and "check" to see if your car meets the requirements, all the while he's peeking in your cab, trying to find something incriminating? I don't live my life in a way that I worry, but I also don't want law enforcement thinking that snooping on me without cause is okay.

Passing a law that targets people who modify, and not the ill result of that modification, can be used to persecute people. Look at lowrider culture. Back in the '60s you could get arrested and have your car seized for driving a lowrider. It was a way of harassing people of Hispanic origin.

It looks to me like someone thought this was goofy, didn't have an appreciation that somebody worked hard to mod their truck, and started a petition in bad faith. Now the governor sees the opportunity to win some cheap votes, so he's making it law. I'm no fan of the squat, but this is not a good solution.
You made that sound good but it doesn't work like that here. There are laws for obstructed vision but they apply to cracked windshields, decals on the glass, tint, and stuff hanging from the mirror as they are currently written. This is not a state that police can issue a repair order citation and the biggest thing you will get for your headlights not aimed is a warning. Another thing is that alot of these trucks are running around with "Farm Use" tags and as such aren't required to pass even a safety inspection. They get a free pass from the police.

Most new vehicles you cannot adjust the headlight mounting plate because the adjustments are inside a lens that will only line up and fit on the vehicle in one position.

The laws are pretty lax here as far as modifications go, and the new law doesn't totally eliminate dropping the rear.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
fender lines parallel to the ground.... sounds reasonable. I'm sure theres some sort of tolerance because trucks dont come level to begin with but laws are not written to make things legal. instead laws are written to regulate and establish what's illegal.

In Canada if your caught "stunt driving" you forfeit the vehicle and it gets squashed. theres no exceptions and you also loose your license for a given period of time and face hefty fines.

they should do that with these stupid POS trucks.

A very good buddy of mine driving a mini van to pick up his kids from school had a truck modded similar to this blow through a stop light and literally drive right over him. he survived but is crippled and can hardly move. luckily his kids were not in the van. the van was hardly recognizable. buddy got a slap on the wrist due to no laws preventing those mods from happening. it was not an extremely squatted truck but one that was lifted like 20" in the front and 12 in the rear and so the bumper was pretty much at the windshield of my buddy's van.... aimed at his head.

I have not read the regulations lately but there is a height restriction on like the bumper and the headlight height but not on the truck itself. it's open to interpretation and its rather illogical and should not apply to passanger vehicles.

There should definitely be reasonable and clear limitations of mods that can be done to passanger vehicles.

Last edited:

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see kids around here that can hardly see over the hoods of these squatted trucks, gotta be a safety issue. But then again , I've almost given up riding my Harley because of idiots on cell phones.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are laws for obstructed vision but they apply to cracked windshields, decals on the glass, tint, and stuff hanging from the mirror as they are currently written. This is not a state that police can issue a repair order citation and the biggest thing you will get for your headlights not aimed is a warning. Another thing is that alot of these trucks are running around with "Farm Use" tags and as such aren't required to pass even a safety inspection. They get a free pass from the police.

... and you pointed out exactly what needs fixing instead of making a new law. Again, the 'ban' on squats is just a politician making a grab for votes, when instead he could ask the state congress to fix the existing laws.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
... and you pointed out exactly what needs fixing instead of making a new law. Again, the 'ban' on squats is just a politician making a grab for votes, when instead he could ask the state congress to fix the existing laws.
Wouldn't modifying or expanding an existing statute that has to be legislated also be "new law"? Your kinda splitting hairs here. The did it with one law instead of multiple laws governing the different tag classifications.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched and found the text of the bill. They did not make a new law, but altered the existing law. The interesting bit is how they measure "squat". If you put tube fenders on your Jeep, you're in violation. I foresee a bunch of guys squatting their trucks, but cutting the rear wheel arches high. They also removed the earlier restrictions limiting you to 6" of lift. https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2021/Bills/House/PDF/H692v4.pdf