Delete oil cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a leaking oil filter adapter, and/or oil cooler lines, and am wondering if I should just delete the cooler. I can afford to do both, and can do it easy enough but wonder if it's that important to have the oil cooled and I like the simplicity of having the lines gone. If anybody has done this I'd be curious to know how it turned out. I wonder if the water cooling system is designed to sufficient capacity as to allow for the elimination. I don't intend to move south but we do get days in the hundreds here some summers. I saw the title of a How-To on this on Youtube but can't find it now. Also, I did search for a thread about it on here but nothing came up. Thanks

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I deleted them on my 1992 years ago. (havent got around to it on my 98 yet) but zero issues. I should note I dont pull with the truck but have made 6-7 trips from NC to NJ with zero issues since about 25k miles on a 200k motor. I say delete them

RMRP

Reaction score
I have had lots of trouble with leaking oil filter adapters and found that if you use FEL-PRO 72671 gasket set it will stay sealed easy to change without removing hoses all the other orings i tried failed promptly.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the FEL-PRO number. My hoses are probably the originals so would replace them too. I do tow with it on short trips but want to be ready for long trips too. I wonder if they make an oversize radiator for this 92. Having fewer connections on a road trip is always nice too.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely deleting the hoses. Alloy Works sells a four row radiator that it says "dramatically increases surface area" that enebles "the heat to dissipate 35 to 45% more efficently than stock" It has a transmission cooler and is $299

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Definitely deleting the hoses. Alloy Works sells a four row radiator that it says "dramatically increases surface area" that enebles "the heat to dissipate 35 to 45% more efficently than stock" It has a transmission cooler and is $299

Unless you're looking at a brass/copper radiator, you don't want a 4 row..... I've actually never seen one in aluminum/plastic 4 row radiator. The fewer wide rows the better. My current radiator uses 2 wide rows. The newer version uses a single wide row. My OEM radaiator was a 3 row.

4 row radiators use narrow tubes. Brass/copper radiators could only be made with narrow tubes, so they used more rows. The modern aluminum/plastic radiators use fewer rows, of much wider tubes.

I've disconnected my oil cooler, but since I have a 454, that doesn't involve the oil filter adapter. I've considered re-connecting it, but have not had any problems with it disconnected. I don't' tow much, Though.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you're looking at a brass/copper radiator, you don't want a 4 row..... I've actually never seen one in aluminum/plastic 4 row radiator. The fewer wide rows the better. My current radiator uses 2 wide rows. The newer version uses a single wide row. My OEM radaiator was a 3 row.

4 row radiators use narrow tubes. Brass/copper radiators could only be made with narrow tubes, so they used more rows. The modern aluminum/plastic radiators use fewer rows, of much wider tubes.

I've disconnected my oil cooler, but since I have a 454, that doesn't involve the oil filter adapter. I've considered re-connecting it, but have not had any problems with it disconnected. I don't' tow much, Though.
Good info, thank you. I’ve heard that about the number of rows not being advantageous and actually a hindrance, but I thought maybe the advantage in this product might have been the thickness of the total of the rows. I’ll ask then how thick it is, would you say total thickness is the most important factor? I ordered the filter base with the bypass from Summit

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good info, thank you. I’ve heard that about the number of rows not being advantageous and actually a hindrance, but I thought maybe the advantage in this product might have been the thickness of the total of the rows. I’ll ask then how thick it is, would you say total thickness is the most important factor? I ordered the filter base with the bypass from Summit
I’m also thinking maybe a 180 thermostat might help

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

If the overall thickness is vastly different, yes. I would assume a thick 4 row would cool better than a narrow single core, but there is no reason to get stuck with a thin radiator that's made with fewer, but wider, rows.

What is the 180F thermostat supposed to help with? 195F has been the designed spec for years and years.

The oil cooler you're trying to eleminate, is it internal, or external?