Decisions, decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Just gonna leave this here for your consideration!
Coil packs moved to the firewall. C/F valve covers.

You must be registered for see images attach

...and it's in front of a stick!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah, Ive been watching that one-just cant afford it yet.

Corey, ya have any pictures of the truck?

Its not really picture ready, but its on Andrews FB page. I'll see if I can get some of them into Photobucket and DL them here.

AAAAaaaargh.....Youre really not helping here :)

Ive pretty much decided to go LS-if I can come up with the intake, ignition system and front group. If I could just find a blown motor somewhere I could pick up for cheap, Id be good.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Al has strong argument for an LSX swap! That is damn sexy.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I will throw this out there.....Edelbrock carb intake for the LSX engine with the MSD ignition box to run the coil packs

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, after spending the weekend researching and searching Craigslist, I'm at this point; Found a complete 98 Vortec 5.7 in Reno for $100. It has a cracked block (it froze), but if my research is valid, the block in my '90 is interchangeable. Also, my research indicates that the Vortecs had a higher compression ratio than the TBI motors, so if the bottom end is sound, its a cheap way to gets some power and mileage. After going back through TBICHIPS.com for the thousandth time, it looks like if I can pick up the Vortec (still trying to figure out a way to Reno with something that will haul the motor), get an LT4 cam (the Vortec is roller), a Vortec carbureted manifold and TBI adapter, and a gasket set, I would have pretty much most of the big things I need to get the motor together. Should make about 300hp, and get 18-20mpg on the highway-which is better than the soccer mom van I'm driving to work every day now. Seems to me, at least at this point, that this is the most bang for the buck Ive got going for me as thing are right now.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
1. Most cost effective but least fun.
2. Fun and easy but easy to start pushing a grand if your not careful.
3. Why do the work of a swap unless you have 95% or greater of the parts?
4. Most fun but it will cost ya! Shop craigslist!
So, as the old saying goes... speed is money, how fast do you want to go?

Couldn't have said it better!

The *******.

That's probably the first one I've seen that actually looks good! Although, those long spark wires kind of negate part of the goodness that is CNP ....

For the tree bopped reg cab: So, you have a vehicle to drive right now (soccer mom box) so transport is not the issue.

Here's what i would recommned: do it once, you'll save money in the long run

You want the LSX, you want the IRS and you'll eventually end up getting them. I know, I've gone down the same road myself (IE: settle for what I can have now and rip it out later). It just costs you more $$$ in the long run.

Park the truck, wok on what you can and save the cash for an LSX powered swap. You can either use the 5.3 you have now or wait for one to show up in a complete vehicle in the used car adds at a price that works for you. If you're got a good recip assembly sitting on the floor, you can just buy a truck with a popped engine or maybe a rollover and scab out the remaining parts you need. It may take a while and you may have to be patient, but one will surface sooner or later that will work for you.

At least, that's what I would do...:)

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vortec that was in the stepside came from Redding in the back of a 91 ford festiva... the 90 block may not have the machining or the bosses forthe roller cam. Pull the tbi intake to find out.