Decisions, decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, after spending the weekend researching and searching Craigslist, I'm at this point; Found a complete 98 Vortec 5.7 in Reno for $100. It has a cracked block (it froze), but if my research is valid, the block in my '90 is interchangeable. Also, my research indicates that the Vortecs had a higher compression ratio than the TBI motors, so if the bottom end is sound, its a cheap way to gets some power and mileage. After going back through TBICHIPS.com for the thousandth time, it looks like if I can pick up the Vortec (still trying to figure out a way to Reno with something that will haul the motor), get an LT4 cam (the Vortec is roller), a Vortec carbureted manifold and TBI adapter, and a gasket set, I would have pretty much most of the big things I need to get the motor together. Should make about 300hp, and get 18-20mpg on the highway-which is better than the soccer mom van I'm driving to work every day now. Seems to me, at least at this point, that this is the most bang for the buck Ive got going for me as thing are right now.
The bottom end of the 90 will accept the vortec top end.
The vortec did have higher compression than the tbi but it is due to the pistons, the 193 tbi heads and the 906 vortec's both have 64cc chambers.
I had the LT4 production cam in the Denali and I wasn't impressed. The best MPG I got out the Denali was 17 on the trip to Chicao. It had the upgraded spider, JBA headers, tune, no cat, 2 1/2" to 3" Magnaflow, E-fans and a full tune up with AC Delco parts. Granted, the Denali has 1000+ pounds on a regular cab. I was willing to lose power to hit 19-20mpg @ 65mph but it never happened. I'm so glad that I didn't hang onto that cam for the stroker!
I used an Edelbrock EPS intake on the vortec 350 in the stepside. We built the TBI adapter plate because we could do it for $5. We did do the quarter mod on the fuel pressure regulator and honestly I was quite happy both on the scanner and with the overall performance.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Ditto! Devil's playground!

I had to open a Facebook account other wise I wouldn't have one.
I went to a very remote high school and my classmates urged me to join them on Facebook.
It's nice to get re-connected with people I haven't seen for 35+ years.