Decisions, decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK. So I had a '96 ECSB that I liked, and my son had a '90 SCSB that he liked. He lives about 500mi away from me at the moment and there was a wind storm where he lived and a tree fell on his truck. So he calls me and asks me what to do. After determining that there was no insurance coverage on either side, I suggested he just pick up a cab at the local wrecker and swap them. That was more than he was comfortable with-or had the space and tools for-so he went down and got an estimate from a local body shop. That quote was ~$4000.00. So, he's in a world of hurt. Ive known for a while that he would like the extra room an EC provides, and Ive been looking to get a SC to hotrod, so, I offered to trade trucks with him if he could get the truck home. He was home two days later. Truck isnt that bad-just needs a windshield and a couple small dents pulled out of the roof. BUT. And its a big but, sometime preceding his home bound trip, the water pump had failed and was leaking out the weep hole. He noticed that the heater wasnt working, and put water in it and a thermostat, but didnt find the leak. Long story shorter, he fried it pretty well on the drive home. I replaced the waterpump, had to get a new stat, and it runs ok, but is pressurizing the radiator, so Im guessing it screwed up a head gasket.

Ive been going over my options;

1.Rebuild the TBI and drive away.
2.Rebuild the TBI with Vortec heads and ultimate TBI mods and a cam.
3.Swap in an LT1.
4.Do an LS swap.

Ive wanted to do an LS swap for years. In fact, I have a very low mileage 5.3 long block. Problem with that, is that it has no intake or coil packs or anything besides a long block. As an aside, does anybody have an (relatively) inexpensive path to take to get the pieces together to make it whole-including computer. (its a '99 or '00 I believe)

The truck already has a pretty well built 700R4 that Id like to keep until I can find a T-56. Im also thinking of putting a Vette IRS in the back-sort of going for the Pro-Touring thing.

So, I could use some advice. Let me know what you think my best bet is.

Thanks

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Most cost effective but least fun.
2. Fun and easy but easy to start pushing a grand if your not careful.
3. Why do the work of a swap unless you have 95% or greater of the parts?
4. Most fun but it will cost ya! Shop craigslist!
So, as the old saying goes... speed is money, how fast do you want to go?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 96 LS swap it. You need a 411 computer, the coil pack wiring an add/entend the injector wiring an individual injector pigtails. A repin at the computer end an maybe lengthen/reroute a few wires. The vortec trucks are the easiest to swap from what I've read because you can keep the vortec harness an just make those changes...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 96 LS swap it. You need a 411 computer, the coil pack wiring an add/entend the injector wiring an individual injector pigtails. A repin at the computer end an maybe lengthen/reroute a few wires. The vortec trucks are the easiest to swap from what I've read because you can keep the vortec harness an just make those changes...
He got his son's 90. The 96 is out of the picture.