Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's another contractor coming on Monday to do an estimate to place asphalt millings for the apron. No rain in the forecast, so maybe it will be dry enough to actually get the apron done in the next couple of weeks.

Haven't really worked on the electrical plan for longer than I care to admit. Two other major projects (plus a few smaller ones) are competing for my time, and it's clear that I need to do a better job of dividing my efforts between them.

Effectively scheduling work (and sticking to the schedule) without having the structure of a full time job is one of my biggest challenges as an old retired guy. I thought it wouldn't be all that tough to do, but it is. The struggle is real.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Effectively scheduling work (and sticking to the schedule) without having the structure of a full time job is one of my biggest challenges as an old retired guy. I thought it wouldn't be all that tough to do, but it is. The struggle is real.
I've decided to avoid that struggle entirely by working until I croak. It'll happen sooner or later, hopefully later..

Richard

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a contractor to supply and install the asphalt millings for the apron. It should happen in about a month. The contractor suggested waiting until temperatures climb a bit, so that the millings will compact more readily. We also decided to put millings down to create a driveway, through the back yard, to the garage. The current driveway is just a path worn through the back "lawn." It gets pretty greasy when wet, due to the high clay content of our soil. The millings should solve that problem.

Still no further progress on the electrical plan, as my other projects have recently taken priority. The good news is, I'm at least making some decent progress on those projects. At this rate, it will have taken me the better part of a year to complete the garage.

I need a clone. At least an assistant.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a conversation with a friend who used to be in the electrical supply business, I'm considering using schedule 40 PVC conduit instead of EMT in the lower parts of the building, as PVC should be easier for me to work with. Turns out that PVC is also slightly less expensive than EMT.

I still plan to use MC cable for anything more than 5' or 6' above floor level.

In reality it will likely be a few more weeks before the plan is complete and I'm ready to start buying electrical supplies. Among other considerations, I'm still figuring out how many outlets to place along the walls, how many circuits to handle the area lighting, and where to place the mini-split.

In the meantime, before the contractor puts down the asphalt millings for the apron, I'll have to dig at least that part of the trench for the main power from the house, as well as for the water line for the outside hydrant. Fortunately I have the route figured out, and I already have the 2" PVC conduit; I just need to dig the damned trench.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I continue to move stuff into the garage, it's become clear that I'll need more tool storage capacity.

I've looked at buying something used, but prices for rolling tool cabinets are really high around here.

Turns out that Harbor Freight has what looks like a pretty decent rolling toolbox/workbench with 9 drawers and a wooden top. They sent me a 15% off coupon, so yesterday I snagged one. It should work as rolling tool table quite nicely. I may add some sheetmetal, or at least a layer of sacrificial wood, to the top.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still plan to use MC cable for anything more than 5' or 6' above floor level.
IIRC it's a minimum of 7' before you can use wiring that's "unprotected"/ Behind drywall, plywood, etc qualifies. You can use a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and, with a flush mount panel, run your circuits up behind it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
As I continue to move stuff into the garage, it's become clear that I'll need more tool storage capacity.

I've looked at buying something used, but prices for rolling tool cabinets are really high around here.

Turns out that Harbor Freight has what looks like a pretty decent rolling toolbox/workbench with 9 drawers and a wooden top. They sent me a 15% off coupon, so yesterday I snagged one. It should work as rolling tool table quite nicely. I may add some sheetmetal, or at least a layer of sacrificial wood, to the top.

Does this cart have a pair of locking wheels? If not, you'll definitely want to add some. The carts we use at work are stainless steel, and the largest ones are about the size of a decent bottom box/cabinet. They're quite heavy when loaded up with product, supplies and an oven. We have to lock the brakes so the cart doesn't move, even if someone runs into it. Our carts have the brakes on the steering wheels.
I'll try to get a picture of one, so you can easily see what I'm talking about.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this cart have a pair of locking wheels? If not, you'll definitely want to add some. The carts we use at work are stainless steel, and the largest ones are about the size of a decent bottom box/cabinet. They're quite heavy when loaded up with product, supplies and an oven. We have to lock the brakes so the cart doesn't move, even if someone runs into it. Our carts have the brakes on the steering wheels.
I'll try to get a picture of one, so you can easily see what I'm talking about.
It has two locking wheels that swivel, and two wheels that don’t lock or swivel, pretty much like my Craftsman tool chest.

Seems like a decent cabinet, especially for the money.