Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you have the forms up bury a street 90° with a lighty attached cap for the sink drain. Do one for the water coming in as well. You can then dig them up later. A small on demand water heater would be nice and not take up a lot of space. You may also want a hose bib, If you decide to do it later it'll be easy. You could have a dry well for that sink.
So far I‘m just putting in a 2” conduit 90º for the power cable, but haven’t planned to put water in this building. But it’s been mentioned here a couple of times, so I need to at least give it some serious thought. For as little as I’d use a sink, a dry well would probably do the trick.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far I‘m just putting in a 2” conduit 90º for the power cable, but haven’t planned to put water in this building. But it’s been mentioned here a couple of times, so I need to at least give it some serious thought. For as little as I’d use a sink, a dry well would probably do the trick.
Yeah you're gonna want to wash your hands and take a leak at least. If all you're gonna use is a dry well you will not want to wash your hands with GOJO,it will stop up that dry well pretty quickly.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're gonna want to wash your hands and take a leak at least. If all you're gonna use is a dry well you will not want to wash your hands with GOJO,it will stop up that dry well pretty quickly.
Good to know. Unfortunately it’s downhill from the house and the septic system, so that limits options.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know. Unfortunately it’s downhill from the house and the septic system, so that limits options.

Can always pump it up. Once that concrete is poured there's no going back. I just ran the numbers on my shop and it's over $4,000 to insulate the slab and another grand or less in PEX for radiant heat. That's an extra $5,000 up front that will pay dividends down the road. And I haven't yet accounted for the plumbing. I'm adding a full bath and a hand washing sink at a minimum. Plus floor drains.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted a sink in my shop, but it wasn't feasible. So far I don't really miss it. The garden hose is fifty feet away and the bathroom's only another twenty. We put a sink and toilet in my wife's shop and we have to keep a heat lamp on it in the winter. I'm ready to pull the toilet and cap off the lines.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I just ran the numbers on my shop and it's over $4,000 to insulate the slab and another grand or less in PEX for radiant heat.

Insulating the slab pays huge dividends. People don't realize how much of a difference it really makes. I didn't go the in floor heat route, the cost vs. reward wasn't there for me. With the lift, I'm not working on the cement anyways, so a warm floor doesn't make a huge difference in my operation. Also it takes much longer to bring the air back to a warmer temp after you open an overhead door with the floor heat than with forced air.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
A bucket of water for handwashing and homemade urinal for the winter.

*not mine but have seen similar in person*
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Insulating the slab pays huge dividends. People don't realize how much of a difference it really makes. I didn't go the in floor heat route, the cost vs. reward wasn't there for me. With the lift, I'm not working on the cement anyways, so a warm floor doesn't make a huge difference in my operation. Also it takes much longer to bring the air back to a warmer temp after you open an overhead door with the floor heat than with forced air.

I've heard the exact opposite, that forced air takes longer to recover than a heated slab. I'm inclined to believe it after experiencing my friend's shop which has insulated walls and ceiling only, his uninsulated slab seems to really moderate the temperature inside the building both summer and winter. As far as heating the slab itself, it's about a $1,000 gamble to just put the PEX in the floor. In the grand scheme of things it's a minimal expense if you choose to not heat the slab down the road. Like plumbing, it's something you can't change your mind on down the road. I'll take a similar approach to the house build, i.e. blow extra money on the stuff you can't see and can't redo, skimp on the finish if need be initially. I'll have some cold winters to fend off myself, I don't think OP will be in that same boat.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can always pump it up. Once that concrete is poured there's no going back.
Not a fan of pumping sewage, although it can be done. I don’t want a bathroom badly enough to do that.
I just ran the numbers on my shop and it's over $4,000 to insulate the slab and another grand or less in PEX for radiant heat. That's an extra $5,000 up front that will pay dividends down the road. And I haven't yet accounted for the plumbing. I'm adding a full bath and a hand washing sink at a minimum. Plus floor drains.
Sounds like the Garage Mahal!

Seriously, it sounds like you have a great setup. If I were to do all of that I’d need a larger building, which is definitely not in the budget. I expect I’ll use all of the available space I have for vehicle related purposes.

I’ve had radiant heat in a house when I lived in Colorado and loved it. There’s nothing like it. But in this climate, in a garage, I can’t see being able to justify the cost.