Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, densifier goes down after the cement has had time to cure. I would still advise against paint, check out the Ghostshield product. It makes the cement less permiable to oils and other spills. As stated, the first time you drag something across the painted floor and scratch it, or slip on the super slick surface, you'll wish you had left it alone.
That makes a lot of sense. So it’s basically a two-step process: densifier, then sealer.

I gather that the densifier only has to be done once; but does the sealer have to be renewed periodically?
Unless you're building a "man cave" specific type building, for playing cards and watching sporting events, where no work will be completed, I really don't see the benefit of a pretty floor coating. I've watched my uncle epoxy coat the floor of his garage no less than 3 times in the last 30 years...doesn't seem worth it to me.
Although this garage will no doubt have some man cave attributes, it will first and foremost be a workspace and storage for tools, vehicles, mowers, a tractor, and so forth

I don’t plan to put up a screen, as we don’t have a TV subscription. Even if we did, I probably wouldn’t watch TV in the shop.

That said, having youtube on a larger screen could be a handy thing for certain tasks. We’ll have to see about that.

Nonetheless, an epoxy-coated floor is probably not in my future.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. So it’s basically a two-step process: densifier, then sealer.

I gather that the densifier only has to be done once; but does the sealer have to be renewed periodically?

Although this garage will no doubt have some man cave attributes, it will first and foremost be a workspace and storage for tools, vehicles, mowers, a tractor, and so forth

I don’t plan to put up a screen, as we don’t have a TV subscription. Even if we did, I probably wouldn’t watch TV in the shop.

That said, having youtube on a larger screen could be a handy thing for certain tasks. We’ll have to see about that.

Nonetheless, an epoxy-coated floor is probably not in my future.

My shop is 6+ years old and I have never had to recoat it.

I have a small "nuk" box computer and TV screen for parts searching and general web browsing...and music.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 36" 1080p TV with a Raspberry Pi keyboard computer in my shop. I can stream YouTube on it for music. Stupidly, Spotify blocks the Chromium browser. I've also looked up a carburetor rebuild video, chased and ordered parts, etc. It is handy.

Currently out of stock. Also, they're only available in white/pink. Mine already looks fairly grimy.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress.

It’s October 1st. The new concrete contractor, who will also remove the stumps, is on board. He will have to rent a larger excavator to remove the stumps, and plans to do so this coming week, weather and equipment availability permitting. Forming and pouring the slab will happen within a few weeks after that.

His bid is a bit higher than what we had budgeted, but turned out to be almost 30% lower than our original contractor’s bid. This new contractor was referred by a trustworthy general contractor, who used him for his own house and garage. Going with him was an easy choice.

On another note, this morning it occurred to me that building this garage plus getting the Subdivision to the point of being Road Trip Ready will cost not very much more than what I’d have to pay, including sales tax and fees, for a nicely equipped new ¾ ton tow vehicle alone.

Think about that.

Moreover, the recurring costs for a new truck (insurance, registration, and annual personal property tax) would be significantly higher than on my current ride. And I wouldn’t have a garage.

Puts a different perspective on this project.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress.

It’s October 1st. The new concrete contractor, who will also remove the stumps, is on board. He will have to rent a larger excavator to remove the stumps, and plans to do so this coming week, weather and equipment availability permitting. Forming and pouring the slab will happen within a few weeks after that.
Cool! Moving along