Cut coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I have zero experience with drop springs but with my coils cut it rides better than it did stock imo.
it handles great and not as "bouncy" as stock, also mines doesn't ride rough at all. it seriously handles like it's on rails. I drive my truck to it's fullest potential it may be low but I don't baby it. some people say cut coils ride like crap but most of them are assuming and have no experience with them, just like I can't say how drop coils ride since I haven't used them.

sent from the eskanalierra lol

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
correct the point right below where the coil currently ends. also you want to cut off the bottom not the top. and this is looking at the spring with the top side down and the bottom facing you..... if that makes sense lol

Thank you sir. Call me stupid, but I lost track of what's top and bottom with the ones I got. It looks to me like the coils get closer together on one side, is that the top or bottom?

Do these ride better or worse than drop coils

galaxy s3

From everything I've read, properly cut (NOT A TORCH) stocks ride better (stiffer). But I've only used spindles, never used drop coils or cut stock ones

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
When I cut my coils the truck rode better. I cut 1/2 a coil and it dropped me 1.25" so if I were you and you want 2" I'd start at cutting off 3/4 of a coil. I think that will get you around 2"

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Thank you sir. Call me stupid, but I lost track of what's top and bottom with the ones I got. It looks to me like the coils get closer together on one side, is that the top or bottom?

From everything I've read, properly cut (NOT A TORCH) stocks ride better (stiffer). But I've only used spindles, never used drop coils or cut stock ones

it's been awhile since I've had mine out but the top has tighter wound coil and kinda flattens I think. it fits over a few prongs up inside the spring pocket

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
And you most definitely do not want to cut them with a torch! Use a sawzall or cutoff wheel!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:word:

I suggest an angle grinder with cut off disc

That's what I used on the 78. It rides great still, springs that are heated with a torch are the ones that ride like crap...

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Looking to get 2"-2.5", but 3" wouldn't hurt my feelings. If anything i'll shackle it to even it out. I hate how there's more fender gap in the front on the SUVs...

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
it's been awhile since I've had mine out but the top has tighter wound coil and kinda flattens I think. it fits over a few prongs up inside the spring pocket

I'll probably just pull the ones that are in it out and cut them, so I know which side is which. Then just use the freebies as backups in case I don't like it

Kidd

Reaction score
the bottom is flat the top is sloped. Cut at the top only.