Custom made shop tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this tool a few times. It's for tucking the seals on a transmission during a rebuild. Without it you stand a good chance of cutting a seal lip instead of getting it to tuck into place. It's simply a piece of copper tubing with wire in the ends. I'm pretty sure it's .034" wire crimped in place with different loop lengths at each end.

You must be registered for see images attach

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giant Lock Ring Pliers - I made this tool initially for a to remove the center support lock ring for a 6L80E Trans rebuild. I have used it for other scenarios as well. The tool costs 255.00 for decent quality. I decided to take a tree branch lopper and weld 5/16 round rid tips to the end. 45.00
Grammy version of custom Lock Ring Pliers
Show us your custom made shop tools. Got a thread on the mopar forum i am on, lots of cool ideas out there. Share em with the collective. I will start. I got 4 of these nice 5 gallon metal skydrol cans from work years ago. I painted waste oil on 3 of em with a stencil, then made a trough that attaches to the top with set screws. It has clips for my drain pan to hold sideways to drip once i pour my waste oil in. I used an old mopar 2.2 dipstick and tube as a level checker, and drilled holes in the stick every 1 gallon increment, so i can pull the stick and see how full it is before adding oil. I had it powdercoated at some small start up place and they were learning how to do it. Its was dirt cheap to get that done. I have other interesting shop tools i have made over the years.

Hope this helps
Matt

Show us your custom made shop tools. Therea a homemade tool thread on the mopar forum i am on, lots of cool ideas out there. Share em with the collective. I will start. I got 4 of these nice 5 gallon metal skydrol cans from work years ago. I painted waste oil on 3 of em with a stencil, then made a trough that attaches to the top with set screws. It has clips for my drain pan to hold sideways to drip once i pour my waste oil in. I used an old mopar 2.2 dipstick and tube as a level checker, and drilled holes in the stick every 1 gallon increment, so i can pull the stick and see how full it is before adding oil. I had it powdercoated at some small start up place and they were learning how to do it. Its was dirt cheap to get that done. I have other interesting shop tools i have made over the years.

Hope this helps
Matt

Giant Lock Ring Pliers - I made this tool initially to remove the center support lock ring for a 6L80E trans rebuild. I have used it for other scenarios as well. The tool costs between $200-$300 depending on the quality. I decided to use a tree branch lopper, weld a 5/16 round rod to the end, and grind the tips. Due to the tree lopper’s compound action design, it’s much easier to compress the giant lock ring than the GM scissor-style design. Cost $45.00, Fab time 1.26 hrs (75.6 min)
Grammy version of Giant Lock Ring Plier Fab

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9326.jpeg
    IMG_9326.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2549.jpeg
    IMG_2549.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 9

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wife is more into fitness than me. I watch what I eat, and do a 2 mile fast walk, drink mostly water etc, however she needed "tool storage", and requested a weight rack. My work was scrapping 3/16" wall 2" square tube, some 1/8" steel angle, and 3/4" steel rod. I took a bunch home and made a killer freeweight rack. Bought plastic end caps for the 2" square tube for $6, and 2 cans of krylon all in one paint/primer for $14 at Lowes. This thing is pretty badass.

Attachments

• 20230913_184533.jpg
    20230913_184533.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230914_151052.jpg
    20230914_151052.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230914_182639.jpg
    20230914_182639.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife is more into fitness than me. I watch what I eat, and do a 2 mile fast walk, drink mostly water etc, however she needed "tool storage", and requested a weight rack. My work was scrapping 3/16" wall 2" square tube, some 1/8" steel angle, and 3/4" steel rod. I took a bunch home and made a killer freeweight rack. Bought plastic end caps for the 2" square tube for $6, and 2 cans of krylon paint/primer all in one for $14 at Lowes. This thing is pretty badass.
Ahh, happy wife equals happy life.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago my dad taught me how to house paint rooms. It seems pretty self explanatory however his deal was to use killz on everything including the trim. Then repaint all the trim first. Seems weird huh? Second thing is you get a 1" chip and edge brush and cut the bristles at an angle. This helps you to edge everything quick and easy. It's easier to edge the wallboard to the trim than to edge the trim to the wallboard later on. That's why I paint the trim first. Edge everything second, Then third you hit the rest with a roller. Also i have run into issues with the metal lids gluing themselves to the paint can, and having to mangle the metal lids to take them off later if having to open them up again a year later for touch up. A piece of clear cling wrap or saran wrap you use for food works great so you can get the lid back off.

Attachments

• 20231030_111909.jpg
    20231030_111909.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231030_111922.jpg
    20231030_111922.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I sold my dodge dakota scrap trailer to a guy the other day. I took it to the scrap yard first to unload it of the mountains of scrap metal, and make some cash before selling it. Anyhoo, while i was there, there was a flat bed truck full of these tall "jack stands" for lack of a better word. The tops were missing, but I plan to make my own adjustable tops with hitch pins. These say on them that they are rated for 2,500 lbs each. Not sure what these were for, but I know what I'm gonna make em into. I made $60 off the scrap, gave $30 back to the junk man and went home with 4 of em in the back of my 94. I scored on this I think. Theres still like 2 dozen of these piled up on there.

Attachments

• 20231110_150411.jpg
    20231110_150411.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 12

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Maybe. Pretty beefy though. They will work just fine when you got to get a car or truck high enough for that axle or tranny swap, and you dont have a lift.
Or dropping the gas tank.... My neighbor had jack stands up on concrete blocks, to give us room to work on my Burb. We needed every bit of it too!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made $60 off the scrap, gave $30 back to the junk man and went home with 4 of em in the back of my 94. I scored on this I think.

Yep I think you did alright on that purchase lol

Pipe Jack stands from northern tool