Custom fabrication designs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I wish I was a little experienced in autocad. I am designing a gun cabinet and it would be nice to be able to actually draft it with some expirience. I did not have the opportunity to take any classes like that or even auto mechanics in highschool

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Damn! I miss Solidworks. I used to design and build the frames for the Baja SAE team while I was at Rochester Institute of Tech. You guys are making me want to finish my degree. 6 years of school for Mech. Engineering and I'm a Paramedic. What the hell am I doing with my life lol?!

Get that degree! I would like to join Baja at some point too, the buggy looks fun!

I wish I was a little experienced in autocad. I am designing a gun cabinet and it would be nice to be able to actually draft it with some expirience. I did not have the opportunity to take any classes like that or even auto mechanics in highschool

AutoCAD was a little tough at first, but once you learn the most useful commands and get some practice in, you'll fly through drawings.

I find that these websites are pretty useful when you get stuck:
http://www.cadtutor.net/
http://www.cadforums.net/index.php
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-General/ct-p/1000

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd love to but I'm still a ways off from that degree. 2 years as a full time student, 4 part-ish time. Maybe someday. I'm looking to become a Flight Medic.

Just noticed Tucson. My little brother goes to ASU. I was in Phoenix for New Years and already started job hunting and sending out apps for Ambulance/Hospital/Flight Medic jobs down. Screw this NY snow **** lol. Looking do be down there within the year. Anyways, Keep up with SW buddy. Once you figure it out, its all gravy...till they come out with another version next year and mess it all up lol.

Oh and def do Baja...Job contacts out the ass, traveling to races and I can honestly say the 2 most awesome years of my life.

Last edited:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Anyways, Keep up with SW buddy. Once you figure it out, its all gravy...till they come out with another version next year and mess it all up lol.

Oh and def do Baja...Job contacts out the ass, traveling to races and I can honestly say the 2 most awesome years of my life.

Haha, that's why my prof told us to always go to the options and use the "classic" version so it would always be the same. I've heard the same thing about employers hiring Formula SAE students too. Our former SAE president already has an offer at some company in NC that works with the military on vehicles and he said that his GPA was like 2.3

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pidgeon hole yourself by trying to work via classic. The 08+ tabbed menu is quicker to use once you're capable and it's really user friendly.

Getting fast and accurate with the software becomes as necesary as being proficient.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I wouldn't pidgeon hole yourself by trying to work via classic. The 08+ tabbed menu is quicker to use once you're capable and it's really user friendly.

Getting fast and accurate with the software becomes as necesary as being proficient.

That's true, and now that I think about it it was AutoCAD that we were using classic for, not SolidWorks

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Well I finally got a little free time to rethink my design and heres what I came up with so far:

BTW: photobucket really crapped on the quality of these picture, not sure why...

You must be registered for see images attach

Its still not done but I made it taller with some more angles and gave the tire some actual tread this time haha. Still gotta add some fillets, change some materials, give it bracing, and add the frame brackets, but I think it looks a little more interesting this time around! :biggrin:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
This is all I have done lately all of it free hand with a mechanical pencil when I was bored at work

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
This is all I have done lately all of it free hand with a mechanical pencil when I was bored at work

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

I guess I didn't even see this, nice sketches! I really like the headache rack man

Anyways, I have turned my bumper into my final project for my AME class, so here is another update (still not done haha)

I added a jerry can holder, d-ring shackles with bolts (both threaded), and new lights which are actual lights (used the actual dimensions) that I can buy.
Still got a few things to add but its getting there!