Custom fabrication designs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
That's some nice work! I like how it was all designed AND applied haha. About how many parts was that first assembly?

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's some nice work! I like how it was all designed AND applied haha. About how many parts was that first assembly?

147, not many as the frame is a weldment, most of the pipes are single piece swept bosses and I didn't add a lot of hardware.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i guess i will have to draw up the bumper i want next time we got some free time in drafting, or maybe next time i am at dad's work i can. But we don't start solidworks until next year in school, if we even ge the class. I'd much rather be drawing bumpers and other things then the house we are workign on now

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
147, not many as the frame is a weldment, most of the pipes are single piece swept bosses and I didn't add a lot of hardware.

Oh man with all the hardware included I'm sure it would have been a lot more, but 147 is still a lot to me! I've been using it religiously for a few weeks now and I still can't believe how much more there is left learn.

i guess i will have to draw up the bumper i want next time we got some free time in drafting, or maybe next time i am at dad's work i can. But we don't start solidworks until next year in school, if we even ge the class. I'd much rather be drawing bumpers and other things then the house we are workign on now

I remember my drafting class in highschool, that class was a blast. We started out drawing on good 'ol paper then moved on to AutoCAD but we never had the privilege of Solidworks or any other 3D modeling software. Luckily for me I was quite versed in AutoCAD when the class reached that point in the semester, so while the rest of the class learned how to use it I finished every singe assigned drawing in about 2 weeks! I then spent the remaining weeks relaxing and designing my dream house. Good times haha. Throw up a design of your bumper if you get a chance!

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man with all the hardware included I'm sure it would have been a lot more, but 147 is still a lot to me! I've been using it religiously for a few weeks now and I still can't believe how much more there is left learn.

I just designed a solar cell testing fixture we built a production run for a customer that's all of 16 x 10 x 1.5" overall and it's got 286 pieces in it. Even in lightweight it's a resource hog, there's a lot of geometry to render.

I use it everyday at work and as you can see at home sometimes for side projects. It's an excellent tool and I'm glad they have engrs using it early in school still. There are too many who still struggle with the basics of it and it's frustrating playing makeshift help desk often.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I remember my drafting class in highschool, that class was a blast. We started out drawing on good 'ol paper then moved on to AutoCAD but we never had the privilege of Solidworks or any other 3D modeling software. Luckily for me I was quite versed in AutoCAD when the class reached that point in the semester, so while the rest of the class learned how to use it I finished every singe assigned drawing in about 2 weeks! I then spent the remaining weeks relaxing and designing my dream house. Good times haha. Throw up a design of your bumper if you get a chance!

We started out on paper, and finished the first semester with drawing a house plan on paper, the first 2 weeks of this semester we finished what was suppose to take us 9 weeks. Now we are just kind of taking our time doing all kinds of plans for a house (floorplan, roofplan, footing plan, all sides of the house elevation, and right now we are doing a wall section view) Then next week we are to do a sketch of one side, after that we are building a model of it out of cardboard. Somewhere in there i will goof off and draw up the bumper, it shouldn't take me long.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i likeyour rear bumper design... pretty much what i would do lol. i have drawn up some stuff will get some pics soon. i take the engineering class at school as well 4th year now 3d modeling is fun

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I just designed a solar cell testing fixture we built a production run for a customer that's all of 16 x 10 x 1.5" overall and it's got 286 pieces in it. Even in lightweight it's a resource hog, there's a lot of geometry to render.

I use it everyday at work and as you can see at home sometimes for side projects. It's an excellent tool and I'm glad they have engrs using it early in school still. There are too many who still struggle with the basics of it and it's frustrating playing makeshift help desk often.

Sounds like it would be a cool project to work on! I'm glad I got an early start and am so interested in it. My dad's an engineer at the Alcoa here in Tucson and he said the more proficient I am with these programs, the more I will be considered over somebody who may be more qualified for the job but less experienced with the software.

We started out on paper, and finished the first semester with drawing a house plan on paper, the first 2 weeks of this semester we finished what was suppose to take us 9 weeks. Now we are just kind of taking our time doing all kinds of plans for a house (floorplan, roofplan, footing plan, all sides of the house elevation, and right now we are doing a wall section view) Then next week we are to do a sketch of one side, after that we are building a model of it out of cardboard. Somewhere in there i will goof off and draw up the bumper, it shouldn't take me long.

Wow you guys are going a lot more in depth than we did. Our toughest AutoCAD assignment was probably an 2D isometric view of a wood screw haha.

i likeyour rear bumper design... pretty much what i would do lol. i have drawn up some stuff will get some pics soon. i take the engineering class at school as well 4th year now 3d modeling is fun

Thanks man, after looking at it for a whole day I've got some changes in mind but nothing too drastic. Post some pics of what you have in mind!

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn! I miss Solidworks. I used to design and build the frames for the Baja SAE team while I was at Rochester Institute of Tech. You guys are making me want to finish my degree. 6 years of school for Mech. Engineering and I'm a Paramedic. What the hell am I doing with my life lol?!

I don't have the Solidworks files or assemblies since my comp crashed but finished awesomeness...
You must be registered for see images attach

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Damn! I miss Solidworks. I used to design and build the frames for the Baja SAE team while I was at Rochester Institute of Tech. You guys are making me want to finish my degree. 6 years of school for Mech. Engineering and I'm a Paramedic. What the hell am I doing with my life lol?!

I don't have the Solidworks files or assemblies since my comp crashed but finished awesomeness...

Thats awesome!!! I'm hoping to be on the Formula SAE team for Texas A&M my senior year design course