Custom fabrication designs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Considering my major is mechanical engineering, I've been spending a lot of my time lately working with CAD programs; Solidworks in this case.

My latest personal project is a rear tire carrier that currently holds a 33" tire. It has D-ring mounts but I haven't made the actual D-rings yet.
It also has two oval LED reverse lights and utilizes a 1.75" heavy duty spindle for the hinge. It may be hard to tell but its overall geometry is trapezoidal and is wider towards
the trucks front and narrower towards the rear.
Drawing is still being worked on

You must be registered for see images attach

This is just a basic dimetric view from the front. The tire is obviously still under construction. Haven't figured out how to make a revolved linear pattern extruded cut haha :hmm:
The wheel is modeled after my 16x8 American Racing Mojaves and it is almost 100% accurate. It's material is A365 aluminum alloy.

Here is an open view of the carrier. As of right now it still has 360[SUP]o[/SUP] movement. This particular carrier assembly is designed for a 33" x 12.5" tire and as of right now
all material is 3/16" steel.

This rear view shows that I have yet to give the bumper any bracing :nono: haha but it also gives a closer look at the wheel mount plate and the welded in spindle tube.
Also I'm still working on the latch system.

This last picture is focused more on the reverse lights. They are 7.5" x 2.5" and each feature 48 white LEDs. The lens is made of clear acrylic and the actual part is recessed into
the bumper so it only protrudes about .2". These were particularly time consuming and I'm still trying to configure the reflectors material to be chrome.

Once I get all my sketches completely defined and everything is buttoned up I will try to perform some stress tests and will post up the results.

Obviously it's a work in progress and I'm still changing lots of things but if anybody has any suggestions, they are welcome!

Also, if anybody else has any designs of bumpers, consoles, brackets, or whatever, post 'em up! I know some other members are familiar with CAD stuff, but I don't care if
you drew it with Solidworks or AutoCAD or paint or on a piece of paper, let's see it!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Tire carrier looks sweet man!
For the tire's radial lines you could have drawn a section view with the grooves like this, and then revolved it.

Then you could go in and select the sidewall as your drawing plane to make the extrude cut for your other grooves but at this piont you would have to start the tire over to do that...
I'm in mechanical engineering at Texas A&M now, and I love working with SolidWorks, I wish I could find a free version for my personal computer

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Here's my bumper that I built in high school before I had access to actual drafting programs, lol

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Nice work!

Thanks man!

Tire carrier looks sweet man!
For the tire's radial lines you could have drawn a section view with the grooves like this, and then revolved it.

Then you could go in and select the sidewall as your drawing plane to make the extrude cut for your other grooves but at this piont you would have to start the tire over to do that...
I'm in mechanical engineering at Texas A&M now, and I love working with SolidWorks, I wish I could find a free version for my personal computer

This is what I tried the first time, the cuts that followed the contour of the tire turned out well but I just couldn't get the lateral sidewall cuts to work out haha I'll have to play around
with it more tomorrow.

Here's my bumper that I built in high school before I had access to actual drafting programs, lol

Nice! I kind of want to have the lower pieces angled down like that but my truck is still stock height and I'm afraid it'll be too low. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll actually be lifted by the
time I actually fab this up! haha

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Nice! I kind of want to have the lower pieces angled down like that but my truck is still stock height and I'm afraid it'll be too low. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll actually be lifted by the
time I actually fab this up! haha

I know what you mean about it being too low. I'm stock height too and its a little lower than I want it to be, but I have a body lift waiting to go on and with it raised up I will be a lot happier with it. It turned out to be only like 1/2" lower than the stock hitch though

A little low with the hitch plate on

OK, with it off

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
That's actually pretty good height, especially without the ball hitch on haha

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty good looking stuff. AM92 is spot on about making the tire patterns. I don't think you need to start over though. You can just make the tire a little bigger and add the new tread pattern on top of whats already there.

AM92 - Piratebay.org has everything free :)

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's about the only interesting stuff I can share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf