Barely Running Believe its a CMP issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm 9 hrs away from home(Las Vegas). About to start a camping trip tomorrow. I took the truck out to get groceries and started misfiring.

No fault codes
No misfire count.
Has fuel(pump and filter are not new).

What I noticed though was my CMP offset is bouncing anywhere from -40 to 40. When it's -1.2(where I set it). The truck seems to drive fine. When it starts bouncing I have issues.

What's the likely culprit?

99 k2500 Suburban, 7.4l, 4l80

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Distributor was brand new, has about 2k miles on it.

I checked fuel pressure, changed the fuel filter(brought pressure up about 5psi).

Replaced crank position sensor. Still getting massive fluctuations in my cmp offset.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 9 hrs away from home(Las Vegas). About to start a camping trip tomorrow. I took the truck out to get groceries and started misfiring.

No fault codes
No misfire count.
Has fuel(pump and filter are not new).

What I noticed though was my CMP offset is bouncing anywhere from -40 to 40. When it's -1.2(where I set it). The truck seems to drive fine. When it starts bouncing I have issues.

What's the likely culprit?

99 k2500 Suburban, 7.4l, 4l80

+/-40° seems to be a *lot* of bounce for mechanical play, especially if the engine is still noise free.
Obviously it could be at either end of the comparison circuit. (CKP at the front of the crank, or the
CMP sensor inside of the dizzy. I'd check the security of the connectors on both sensors...
(your reply #3 just came in) ...I'm assuming that if you don't see anything obvious in the engine bay
wiring harness, then the CMP sensor inside the distributor is the next most probable cause of the
bouncing miscompare?

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No fault codes

That's confusing. According to the P1345 DTC anything exceeding a +/- 15° error
should trip this code when it occurs?

At any rate, I've attached a couple of pages out of the '99 FSM that discuss this
area, including some diagnostic tips on the 2nd page.

EDIT: Is your distributor locked down? Or can you rotate the distributor housing
by hand? Stranger things have happened.

Best of luck with this. I wouldn't stray too far from civilization until you get a
handle on the issue...

Attachments

• '99 P1345 more than 15 degrees off - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    '99 P1345 more than 15 degrees off - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 7
  • '99 P1345 FSM diagnostic aids -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    '99 P1345 FSM diagnostic aids -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's confusing. According to the P1345 DTC anything exceeding a +/- 15° error
should trip this code when it occurs?

At any rate, I've attached a couple of pages out of the '99 FSM that discuss this
area, including some diagnostic tips on the 2nd page.

EDIT: Is your distributor locked down? Or can you rotate the distributor housing
by hand? Stranger things have happened.

Best of luck with this. I wouldn't stray too far from civilization until you get a
handle on this...
Exactly. I remember when I installed the dizzy that even at about 6degrees I was getting a code. Now I'm fluctuating over 80 degrees total. The distributor is locked down. One of the first things I checked.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I think the game plan tomorrow is to remove the cap and rotor, if everything looks good there, I will try a cam position sensor. I really don't want to replace the whole distributor again. We will see what happens though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I think the game plan tomorrow is to remove the cap and rotor, if everything looks good there, I will try a cam position sensor. I really don't want to replace the whole distributor again. We will see what happens though.
If it was a house brand distributor at Oreilly’s, if possible, doubtful if your on a Road Trip(;)), use original or buy GM Genuine cam position sensor.