Crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have decided to have my motor replaced in a few months.
93 GMC C1500 Sierra SLE
423,000 miles orriginal motor, I think I got my money's worth out of this one.

I live Way out in the middle of no where in SC. Our local mechanic, very good reputation, quoted me $3600 for a stock motor, parts and labor and will set an appointment and have it done in 4 days.

Even though I'm 57, I'm wondering if there are some upgrades in horse power that would not be too expensive?

I don't want to go crazy, but I would hate to find out after the work is done that a little more money would have given me X amount of more power.

Any suggestions?

I do a fair amount of heavy hauling and highway traveling

Thanks!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, the 5.7 TBI has swirl port heads and a peanut cam - very poor flow. You can go to a Vortec long block and intake manifold with a TBI adapter. That way you can keep the same PCM (probably a 7427). Or go to MPFI and a 0411 PCM
upgrade, more $$$. Or a 383?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I assume we are talking about a 5.7 L. So yes heads and cam will wake up your engine. Also a free flowing exhaust system will help. Ask you engine builder about what he recomends. Also if you changing pistons too, then a good set of flat tops will also raise compression giving more performance, but you will need to run premium gas.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ditto - It's always more fun taking a short block and building your own. I decided to see what I can do with a TBI instead of going with a Vortec or LS motor. I probably could have done the LS swap for less than what I have in mine but, where's the fun in that?

This is exactly what and why I did what I did with the tbi motor in dad’s truck.
Ended up with a tbi motor that makes 300hp 385 ft-lbs, and runs on the stock computer. (Yes I know there’s a little more that can be done with customer computer work, but the point of this was to run stock electronics)

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s a lot of money for a stock rebuild. You can build a 383 for 1/2 that.