Crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Care to show a build sheet for a 383 for $1800.00 installed?
Theres a 383 in that web sight, but it aint no $1800. $5356.10 and for 323 HP and thats with stock vortec heads and stock cam. If im putting in a 383, and spending that much money, I want some real performance.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Theres a 383 in that web sight, but it aint no $1800. $5356.10 and for 323 HP and thats with stock vortec heads and stock cam. If im putting in a 383, and spending that much money, I want some real performance.

I agree with you Kenny, but for $5600.00 you better bet it will have more than 323Hp.:Big Laugh: For that kind of money it should damn sure be in the 400+ range

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with you Kenny, but for $5600.00 you better bet it will have more than 323Hp.:Big Laugh: For that kind of money it should damn sure be in the 400+ range

My build is a couple grand under that and my goal is 500 ft/lbs and 500 hp under 6,000 rpm. I have forged pistons, 6" h beam rods, fully balanced rotating assembly with the EFI Connection 24x setup, Fluidamper, ported aluminum heads, 1.7 fuller roller rockers, Rhoads V-max lifters, Holley aluminum timing cover, marine dual plane MPI intake, and alot more.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
My build is a couple grand under that and my goal is 500 ft/lbs and 500 hp under 6,000 rpm. I have forged pistons, 6" h beam rods, fully balanced rotating assembly with the EFI Connection 24x setup, Fluidamper, ported aluminum heads, 1.7 fuller roller rockers, Rhoads V-max lifters and alot more.

We have to take into account that not everyone here has the skill set to build an engine. They are going to pay close to $1500.00 in shop time just to R&R. That does not include the assembly of the engine or the machine work.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have to take into account that not everyone here has the skill set to build an engine. They are going to pay close to $1500.00 in shop time just to R&R. That does not include the assembly of the engine or the machine work.
Oh I agree. Point is though, there are a lot better, more powerful choices out there. If all you want is an OE replacement, then thats a decent price. But there 383 package sucks. Thats kind of my point. I dont plan on building my engine myself when the time comes ether. Its to much down time for one thing. My truck is my daily driver. But at $5600 bucks, Blueprint engines offer a lot better choices just to name one.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I understand that. I have built probably 20 small blocks since 2002.

I picked up a summit 350/383 block for the basis of my build. The only out of pocket machine work I paid for was to have my rotating assembly balanced and for Lloyd Elliot to port my heads, do the valve job and mill my heads to perfection. I will also disclaim that I have alot of precision tools to measure bearing clearances, piston deck height, and degree the cam, grind and measure the ring end gap, etc.

My summit block was perfectly machined out of the box, needed a little cleaning though to being it up to my standards of clean assembly. Also I was a little dissapointed that they say it is a GM 4-bolt main cap block. Its a 2 bolt block machined for aftermarket 4 bolt caps. I am not a fan of the main cap bolts they used either. I ordered all GM bolts and windage tray studs and nuts. Still waiting on them to be drop shipped from GMs manufacturer to the dealership.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I agree. Point is though, there are a lot better, more powerful choices out there. If all you want is an OE replacement, then thats a decent price. But there 383 package sucks. Thats kind of my point. I dont plan on building my engine myself when the time comes ether. Its to much down time for one thing. My truck is my daily driver. But at $5600 bucks, Blueprint engines offer a lot better choices just to name one.

Mines not a daily but if it were and I wanted to build an engine I would buy a different block and build it and run it prior to the swap. My 383 will be test run on a stand with a carb before it ever goes into the Express van. I guess that is the benifit of having many chevy parts in the shop. I am building it myself because I trust myself over someone getting paid hourly to do it. Measure multiple times, get all the clearances spot on and have a long living engine that makes great power because of the attention to detail.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No not 1800 installed but you can get a Eagle kit for about $800 and have the needed machine work done and put it together. I helped a buddy build a few for a couple of 80s k5s.

$3600 bucks for a stock rebuild is a ridiculous price. You can pick up a new GM crate engine for $16/1800 on sale from a few online dealers shipped to your house. That’s 1800/2,000 bucks to install it. Let’s take $200 for fluids misc crap off that labor. That’s still 16/1800 bucks for labor

If you have to have it built/done for you and installed then it’s gonna cost more obviously.

Around here to stab a motor runs $500-$1000 depending where you have the work done. To install a TBI 350 if you’re paying over $500 you’re paying too much. Christ it isn’t rocket science.

The reason OP is paying $3600 os because he lives in the middle of nowhere and he is as captive audience. .