Crate engine company’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k1500vortec

Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance.
Truck: 1998 K1500 extended cab 5.0l 305 cid
5 speed manual and manual floor 4x4
My engine is tired and I would just have it rebuilt however the reviews of rebuilders i have found in my area are all over the place so i was just gonna go with a crate engine however I’ve ran into the same problem some say they are great and some say they are trash so im kinda lost. I do not want to change to 350 i like my 305 and it does fine for what i do. Running job site to job site. What companies are good and what companies should i stay away from. I live in Washington state if any companies are some what close that would be helpful

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, just curious, but why would you NOT consider a 350?

Is this the website you guys are talking about? I only see 350s in there...

Then there's this website: https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/GENG.html
Again, only looks like they have the 350 Vortec. $4200, but it's a NEW block, so perhaps not that bad? Forged crankshaft, powdered metal connecting rods and hypereutectic pistons...all that sounds like good stuff to me. Machined and assembled domestically!

I don't know what is your budget...

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
So I had to buy a gm 350 5.7L create motor from jegs $2000 for my 400 Escalade because of bad gas allegedly said a old mechanic that screwed me over on a rebuild!! So after I got it back I did the replacement it’s been good 40-50k miles but finding a good mechanic to do certain work has been the issue!!! But check jegs website they also have a catalog too but I’d put something in that’s a close as possible plug n play motor but I’d try to get one that gives you better mpg as to be cost savings in the long run If possible? or tune it to get best mpg with overall performance if a motor isn’t enough outta the box .

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go with a local builder get your basic long block, throw your intake on it and sensors and be done with it. BUT please don’t get a 305, there really is a night and day difference between the two and it will make the truck more pleasant to drive. I also think the 350s last longer because the 305 is running with its tongue hanging out while the 350 is having a nice Sunday drive.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, just curious, but why would you NOT consider a 350?

Is this the website you guys are talking about? I only see 350s in there...

Then there's this website: https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/GENG.html
Again, only looks like they have the 350 Vortec. $4200, but it's a NEW block, so perhaps not that bad? Forged crankshaft, powdered metal connecting rods and hypereutectic pistons...all that sounds like good stuff to me. Machined and assembled domestically!

I don't know what is your budget...
I got the TBI, but it did come with new valve covers, timing cover, and oil pan. At the time I think I paid around $3700.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mr Goodwrench TBI 350, made in Mexico, was installed in my 88 C1500 by the PO in ~2000 (I bought the truck in '02). he paid ~$1350 for it with his shop discount from the local stealership. The bottom end is still good, the top end is better now :biggrin: