Cranks but won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, go ahead and see the pics in the above post and laugh it the Hell up. I suppose next you all are going to say don't even re-adjust the valves and go straight for a new cam. Make it a roller cam this time. Yeah... NO.

It's easy to misunderstand go/no-go technical stuff when only using the written word. 10x harder
to convey all the subtle stuff that tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, etc communicate
during face to face conversation.

I don't think anybody in here is laughing at you or your situation. Everyone in here seems to have
enough success under their belt that they don't need to belittle others in order to make themselves
feel better. @Hipster described it best what it was like back when we were learning
all this stuff on our own, pre-internet.

Myself, my first 3 solo engines gave me 12 motors worth of experience, for I would put them in, they
wouldn't start, I'd pull them back out, find the mistake I made, wow I would never make THAT ONE
again, and go on to make a new & different one. Rinse & repeat...about a dozen times.

At this point, my singular goal in life was to build an engine, install it, and have it start without having to
first be pulled back out again. And finally, right about the time I thought that it was either impossible
to do...or maybe I just didn't know enough to be doing this on my own, I finally had an engine
go in and start right up.

How good did it feel? I don't have words to describe the feeling. But fortunately this gentleman
shows you how the teenage Road Trip felt -- far better than I can describe using a keyboard:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The point I'm trying to make is, I know what it feels like to work so hard on something and feel *that*
level of disappointment. I've also know how it feels to drive around, propelled by an engine
that I put together myself. And if I can help someone new(er) to the hobby feel that same sense of
accomplishment, then I'm more than happy to do what I can to assist.

And everyone else in here seems to share the same perspective. Setbacks s*ck, but I for one learned more
from the things I've gotten wrong than what I've gotten right the first time. There's plenty of those mistakes
I still don't make to this day. (Thinking of a newer Pontiac V8 which had a smaller flexplate than the
engine I was replacing? The old torque converter bolted up, but the starter just went wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
when I turned the key? Never, ever, made that assumption again. :0)

Congrats are in order for trying to accomplish what a small fraction of today's population is willing
to attempt. With enough patience you too will be propelled down the road by a piece of
machinery that *you* fixed. Once that happens all the frustration will evaporate. And
you will have lots of stories to share when you're sitting next to the pot-bellied stove
at the local hardware store trading war stories about underhood battles of yore...

Best of luck getting that valve train set up for success!

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's easy to misunderstand go/no-go technical stuff when only using the written word. 10x harder
to convey all the subtle stuff that tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, etc communicate
during face to face conversation.

I don't think anybody in here is laughing at you or your situation. Everyone in here seems to have
enough success under their belt that they don't need to belittle others in order to make themselves
feel better. @Hipster described it best when we were learning all this stuff on our own, pre-internet.

Myself, my first 3 solo engines gave me 12 motors worth of experience, for I would put them in, they
wouldn't start, I'd pull them back out, find the mistake I made, wow I would never make THAT ONE
again, and go on to make a new & different one. Rinse & repeat...about a dozen times.

At this point, my goal in life was to build an engine, install it, and have it start without having to
first be pulled back out again. And finally, right about the time I thought that it was either impossible
to do...or maybe I just didn't know enough to be doing this on my own, I finally had an engine
go in and start right up.

How good did it feel? I don't have words to describe the feeling. But fortunately this gentleman
shows you how the teenage Road Trip felt -- better than I describe in words alone:

The point I'm trying to make is, I know what it feels like to drive around in an engine that I put
together myself. And if I can help someone new(er) to the hobby feel that same sense of
accomplishment, then I'm more than happy to do what I can to assist. And everyone else
in here seems to share the same perspective. Setbacks s*ck, but I for one learned more
from the things I've gotten wrong than what I've gotten right the first time.

Congrats are in order for trying to accomplish what a small fraction of today's population is willing
to attempt. With enough patience you too will be propelled down the road by a piece of
machinery that *you* fixed. Once that happens all the frustration will evaporate. And
you will have lots of stories to share when you're sitting next to the pot-bellied stove
at the local hardware store.

Best of luck getting that valve train set up for success!
That video is freakin' great!!!

Related but not related, this one cracks me up as well. Things do go wrong.. you gotta wait for it :) and be sure you un-mute the audio.

Richard

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CRAP. This is the exhaust lifter from cylinder #8. Not even going to bother with the other one. I checked and there's quite a few other loose rockers.

You must be registered for see images attach

I tried to get an acceptable pic of the cam lobe under that lifter. I'm guessing that cam is garbage.

I don't mind changing the cam out. I don't mind tearing back into the top end and replacing lifters. What bugs me is the probability of having to tear the WHOLE ENGINE back apart to clean out metal shavings from failed parts. If it comes to that, it'll take me all winter and probably well into next year to accomplish this.... and that totally defeats the purpose of busting my a$$ on this truck like I have been.

I bet this has nothing to do with the failure to start when hot issue lol.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That got beat to hell. I think I'd throw in the towel on anymore DIY rebuilds and look for a runner or crate.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CRAP. This is the exhaust lifter from cylinder #8. Not even going to bother with the other one. I checked and there's quite a few other loose rockers.

I tried to get an acceptable pic of the cam lobe under that lifter. I'm guessing that cam is garbage.

I don't mind changing the cam out. I don't mind tearing back into the top end and replacing lifters. What bugs me is the probability of having to tear the WHOLE ENGINE back apart to clean out metal shavings from failed parts. If it comes to that, it'll take me all winter and probably well into next year to accomplish this.... and that totally defeats the purpose of busting my a$$ on this truck like I have been.

I bet this has nothing to do with the failure to start when hot issue lol.
There isn't a question. The only way to deal with this is a complete teardown and cleaning. Possibly bearings, bearing surfaces, and machine work involved. Usually it's more than cam/lifters.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That got beat to hell. I think I'd throw in the towel on anymore DIY rebuilds and look for a runner or crate.

I was going to do that originally. My budget was supposed to be $3500. Built and running, with a warranty. Drop right the Hell in and turn the key.

So what happened? My stubborn ego happened. If I didn't build it, it isn't mine. Tell me not ONE of you doesn't feel that same way?

I was going to swap to a roller cam, seeing as how the block is provisioned for it. Yeah........ NO! Too much aggravation and parts swapping - for no added horsepower. Not worth it in my book.

So at this time, I'm going to get another stock flat tappet cam/lifters and start the teardown. *SIGH*

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong and no shame in buying a crate engine. I’ve bought things that I definitely couldn’t create, fabricate, or assemble on my own. I don’t have the skills or time.

For the amount of time and money you’d have in a complete tear down and cleaning, you might be time/money/stress ahead to just get a running take-out or a blue print.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the definition of insanity again? :)

I do hope it turns out better next time. You have to fail to learn sometimes.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong and no shame in buying a crate engine. I’ve bought things that I definitely couldn’t create, fabricate, or assemble on my own. I don’t have the skills or time.

For the amount of time and money you’d have in a complete tear down and cleaning, you might be time/money/stress ahead to just get a running take-out or a blue print.

In THIS SPECIFIC case, I disagree.

If it was my Grand Prix (which I have yet to dig into), I'd get a crate engine in a heartbeat.

My Wife's Buick: if it needed one, I'd drop a crate engine in there w/out hesitation.

My Silverado: Same thing. LS engines are a dime a dozen, so nothing lost there.

My CVPI: I couldn't care less about that thing. It's a backup vehicle. If the engine ever kicked the bucket.... I'd just part the car out and not lose any sleep lol.

My RCSB, however, didn't come stock with a V8. This is MY swap, so dropping someone else's wrench time under the hood wasn't going to fit the bill here.

Alright, I'm out until I have an informative update.