Cranks but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey I've got a 91 k2500 that just got all the body work and paint done it cranks but won't start it has spark and I replaced the entire fuel system i am at a loss on what it can be any ideas?

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have to be a little more specific in regards to having "replaced the entire fuel system." Not sure what it means, what exactly you replaced, etc. You need spark, fuel, and compression/timing to make it go. You have spark (on all the cylinders???) and likely compression, so I'd guess fuel is your problem. Start by letting us know exactly what you did. Also, we literally know nothing about your truck. Mileage, has it ever ran since you owned it, why did it need body work, what engine does it have, etc. Very hard to offer any advice based on one sentence and no details.

Reaction score
I think you have to be a little more specific in regards to having "replaced the entire fuel system." Not sure what it means, what exactly you replaced, etc. You need spark, fuel, and compression/timing to make it go. You have spark (on all the cylinders???) and likely compression, so I'd guess fuel is your problem. Start by letting us know exactly what you did. Also, we literally know nothing about your truck. Mileage, has it ever ran since you owned it, why did it need body work, what engine does it have, etc. Very hard to offer any advice based on one sentence and no details.
It has 82k miles tbi 350 small block it ran great I drove it every day for about a year and decided to do a full restoration on it so I had all the rust fixed a couple new panels and the entire thing repainted when it was at the guys shop for that he started it and was letting it idle then it just died it was starting to idle rough in gear but would idle fine in park and neutral when I took it to him. I replaced the fuel pump fuel filter injector and the pressure control valve in the throttle body I checked spark and it was getting a spark but the plugs were old so I replaced all of them now it just turns over and nothing sounds out of the ordinary there it just won't fire I also replaced the battery and checked grounds and cleaned them

Reaction score
Well let's start by checking fuel pressure, that's easy and sends us in one direction or another.
Fuel pressures great I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter injectors and pressure control valve in the throttle body

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the tbi troubleshooting charts from the service manual. These should get you headed in the right direction

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have power to the injectors? That's a pretty quick and simple check. They should be fed 12v whenever the key is on. The computer switches the grounds to cycle them.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has 82k miles tbi 350 small block it ran great I drove it every day for about a year and decided to do a full restoration on it so I had all the rust fixed a couple new panels and the entire thing repainted when it was at the guys shop for that he started it and was letting it idle then it just died it was starting to idle rough in gear but would idle fine in park and neutral when I took it to him. I replaced the fuel pump fuel filter injector and the pressure control valve in the throttle body I checked spark and it was getting a spark but the plugs were old so I replaced all of them now it just turns over and nothing sounds out of the ordinary there it just won't fire I also replaced the battery and checked grounds and cleaned them
Ok, I'm still leaning toward a fuel delivery problem. Can you do me a favor, check your oil and see if there is any gasoline in it. I had a similar problem you described and it was simply the fuel pressure regulator. It was basically dumping fuel into 2 of the cylinders, and I had like a quart of gasoline in the oil as it was leaking past the cylinders into the crankcase.

I know you said you replaced the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump, but I have seen new parts fail out of the box.

Also, I second the fuel pressure comments. I understand you replaced the pump, but that doesn't mean it hasn't failed. From your comments. I'm reading that the fuel pressures are great because the pump is new, but did you actually measure to confirm? Also, did you get the proper Delco pump, or the cheaper alternatives? Finally, how old is the fuel filter? While I doubt that it's clogged enough to impede fuel flow to the extent that you can't start, but it's like a $20 part that takes 10 mins to replace.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm still leaning toward a fuel delivery problem. Can you do me a favor, check your oil and see if there is any gasoline in it. I had a similar problem you described and it was simply the fuel pressure regulator. It was basically dumping fuel into 2 of the cylinders, and I had like a quart of gasoline in the oil as it was leaking past the cylinders into the crankcase.

I know you said you replaced the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump, but I have seen new parts fail out of the box.

Also, I second the fuel pressure comments. I understand you replaced the pump, but that doesn't mean it hasn't failed. From your comments. I'm reading that the fuel pressures are great because the pump is new, but did you actually measure to confirm? Also, did you get the proper Delco pump, or the cheaper alternatives? Finally, how old is the fuel filter? While I doubt that it's clogged enough to impede fuel flow to the extent that you can't start, but it's like a $20 part that takes 10 mins to replace.
I did the fuel filter at the same time as the pump maybe a month and a half ago, I had the top of the throttle body off last night and had my girlfriend turn the key on so I could see what it did because I don't have a thing to actually measure the pressure but if it would be worth getting one I will I'm leaning towards the injectors not having enough power because when I turn the key on and crank it they don't seem to be working correctly I took them back to warranty them so I'll put the new ones in and check the power going to them and see what happened. Would it be beneficial to replace the 2 plugs for the injectors?