Cracked Dashboard Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I finally finished sanding and did a test fit to make sure everything fits and it is perfect.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had purchased a spare dashboard from the junkyard a couple years ago to replace my cracked one but this one was spray painted black, including the vent bezel. I sanded off the paint and repainted it black and silver to match the original. The brushed aluminum piece was missing so I replaced it with firemans aluminum diamond plate. I will reuse this on the finished dashboard. I might add a custom emblem where the original one was but may not because I like how clean it looks. Here is a picture of the dash I had purchased along with the bezel.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Its complete!!!

From the previous post I cleaned the dashboard with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel until the paper towel was white after wiping. I then sprayed a medium wet coat of SEM adhesive promoter and sprayed the first color coat while the adhesive promoter was still wet and continued spraying wet light coats of SEM shadow blue until I was satisfied with the color and number of coats (I used most of the can). The adhesive promoter dries very quickly so don't wait to begin spraying color and I waited until each coat was dry enough to touch before spraying another coat (roughly 5 to 10 minutes). Finally I sprayed 2 medium wet coats of SEM low luster clear coat for added protection against wear (this clear is recommended for dashboards to help with glare). I used this spray can sprayer for the color and clear (I highly recommend the sprayer when painting larger surfaces because you don't hurt your finger)

Pictures after cleaning.

Pictures after the color was applied.

Pictures after clear coat.

Teaser picture with the A/C vent bezel. I had to turn the dashboard so it wouldn't fall off because it should cure 24 hours before bolting down the bezel.

I also removed the dash speakers and relocated them to the doors. I removed the speaker holes by laying down chicken wire, cutting foam to fill in the hole, and covering it in body filler to create a smooth surface for the epoxy to bond to. Picture of the underside of the driver speaker.

Last edited:

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The cones were ripped from the vehicle sitting and i didnt think i could find replacement speakers. I also wanted bigger speakers and ones in the door because i was hoping it would help keep the sound in the vehicle since i drive with the windows down a lot.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made some modifications to mine to fit 4 inch ones in the dash. I didn't do the center speaker though, I then did a 5 inch speaker in the bottom of each of the doors then I made small boxes that I designed to go at an angle and just fit behind the door seals when laying down or I can stand them up too that house a 6x9 on each side... with the head unit and the 2 5 inch speakers and the 2 6x9s I think it was 99 dollars and then the 2 4 inch ones cost me 40 sum dollars and then the carpet for the boxes I got at walmart in the auto section and then a can of 3m adhesive. and I didn't need to buy any wire because the kit came with it and the in dash adapter although I did upgrade the doors to a heavier wire. It sounds pretty good for such a cheap set up.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the dash speakers are normally 3.5 inch stock for future reference and there is a big difference between them and 4s but it can be done. The driver side is the hardest but you have to shift them as close to the glass as possible and still be able to fit the dash, if you don't they hit the cluster. Just don't use the stock little spacers and mount them flat.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Wow, nice job Mike!

Sent from the Green Mile

Thanks Josh

the dash speakers are normally 3.5 inch stock for future reference and there is a big difference between them and 4s but it can be done. The driver side is the hardest but you have to shift them as close to the glass as possible and still be able to fit the dash, if you don't they hit the cluster. Just don't use the stock little spacers and mount them flat.

Thats some good info and nice to know. Are you running an amp to power the speakers?

I put in new speakers but havent had the chance to listen to it yet because the interior is not put together. I ended up redoing the rear side panels and put two 6x9 3 way speakers in each panel with, if i remember correctly, 6 inch speakers in the doors. I made a round spacer out of wood and wrapped it in vinyl and i did that to reduce the size of hole that needed to be made in the door panel. I placed the speaker and holes where it will be completely hidden behind the pockets if i choose to go back to the stock setup.