Cracked Dashboard Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey, I had a few requests lol! ummm how did you mount that diamond plate on the stainless piece? Is it raised up off of it? I just made one fully out of diamond plate and I'm like ehhhh... can I get a few more pics of that piece from all angles and close up?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I removed the stainless piece from the plastic because it was coming off anyway and I mounted the diamond plate onto the doors with two machine screws and flange washers, seen in the green circles. I originally used epoxy to mount the diamond plate onto the dashboard but the summer heat broke down the epoxy and it came off and I am going to weld aluminum screws to the back side but havent done that yet. I only have two pictures at the moment and the one of the dashboard is when the aluminum fell off so you can see the what the plastic trim looks like. I will try to get more pictures soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made the one dash piece out of full aluminum.. it looks good better than most could do but its not that 100% perfect like I like. I am thinking about selling it or cutting it and making it like yours. Im not sure when I will get to actually redo my truck and with everything, every dash pad fits different and new door panels are different than old ones so I used 3m tape for now and so far its worked well except to hold the new dash piece in. Once I redo the truck I will take that extra effort in making everything fit 110% perfect and I will probably do away with the door speakers and use kicker ones by the feet but until then its just a truck to screw around with and keep me busy. idk... Im lost haha

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what thickness diamond plate did you use and does it sit flush with the rest of the piece or is it raised some?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Looks good man!

Thanks!

what thickness diamond plate did you use and does it sit flush with the rest of the piece or is it raised some?

The diamond plate I used is 0.060 inches thick and I think is called firemans diamond plate, you can see the difference in the pictures, and it sits flush with the trim piece. I think the plastic dash trim piece came out of a truck that didnt have the stainless steel because it is textured and the ones I used from my Blazer were smooth. I dont have the door panels off so I couldnt get a picture of the mounting behind but is a lock washer and nut that go through the panel itself and I couldnt get a picture with the dashboard because I have it apart again. All hardware I used is from Ace Hardware. Onto the pictures!!!

This is the mounting screw for the door inserts. I will also be reusing the plastic chrome caps which is why the diamond plate has holes around the strap.

I started with the piece of diamond plate and will be welding screws to the backside; also, I have the dashboard and door inserts lined together.

This was hard to get the right shape and is still not perfect.

You can see the holes I drilled and the screws I will be welding.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about using an adhesive for a permanent type deal, grinding the studs for the vents flat and using a little screw bolt and washer and nut to attach the vents to the dash pad and so everything still is intact leaving only the outside studs to hold the back in place.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I was going to do that but the studs are in a bad location for the front side of the trim piece so i have to go this route.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Thanks haha. If you were closer than I could help you make some.