Cracked Dashboard Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I know this dashboard is not from a 400 but i am sharing my experience with fiberglass clothe and epoxy resin. The dashboard from my 89 blazer is cracked and in desperate need of repair. Aftermarket dashboards are garbage and the plastic dashboard cover will need to be reglued every couple years and i decided to fix it since its already covered in cracks.

I first sanded down the cracks to make them flush with the top and used automotive body filler to fill in the space, i also added foam in the speaker holes and filled the top with filler as well. Once the cracks were filled, i sanded the entire dashboard with 220 grit, to provide a scratch that the resin can bond to, and cleaned all the surfaces with isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a couple yards of 0.005" thick fiberglass clothe to cover the dashboard along with a couple quarts of 90 minute and 8 minute epoxy resin. Due to the curvature of the dashboard, this cannot be done in one piece and i have been doing this in sections. The resin i used is one part resin, one part hardener. Once the clothe was applied to the dashboard, i mixed another batch of resin to coat the entire dashboard to remove the dry spots. This is where i am at now.

Overall it is a lot more forgiving than fiberglass mat and resin and the dashboard is solid. I need to finish the edge where the windshield is, sand the entire dashboard with 220 grit, and paint to match the interior.

Edit: Process used for this project:
1. Use 220 grit and DA sander to smooth dashboard.
2. Lay down glass matrix and saturate with epoxy resin and allow for complete cure.
3. Mix epoxy resin and spread over the entire dashboard to create a smooth top layer.
4. Block sand dashboard with 180 grit to remove the high spots in a 0, 90, 45, -45 degree pattern.
5. Block sand dashboard with 220 grit in a 0, 90, 45, -45 degree pattern until smooth.
6. Wipe clean with rubbing alcohol.
7. Spray dashboard with SEM Sand Free adhesive promoter with a medium wet coat.
8. Spray dashboard with SEM shadow blue with light wet coats.
9. Finish with two medium wet coats of SEM low luster clear coat.

Last edited:

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, keep us updated please. Of course, that will make the gears in my head turn and make me want to do something custom in my truck.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Thanks guys! No progress yet because I have been really busy but hopefully this weekend.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching since I need to do something similar for my 78. Have you seen the ones some guys have been getting recovered in vinyl after smoothing like that? Those look :boobs:

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I saw one but it had a seam down the middle and I didn't like it. It was also in the summer and the vinyl was coming unglued on the passengers edge and looked bad. I would love to wrap it in vinyl but am afraid the glue will not hold.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Have some progress on the dashboard and have some before and after pictures of some problem areas. On to the pictures.

I flipped the dashboard over and sanded the edge smooth to give a clean look.

There was an area where the initial material broke through when sanding and it left a hole in the edge. I saturated the material with resin and taped the edges of the material to hold the shape. When the material cured, I went to the backside and filled the void with resin. Before and after pictures.

Here is another hole where the dashboard had eroded away and I used the same technique as the first hole but I don't have a before picture.

And finally, the driver side vent where I had to make a step for the vent cover to clip into the dashboard. Its hard to see the step because I have a fresh coat of resin to make it one piece.

wewsel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Updates? I need to see this done. My 98 is starting to look like a dodge from the 90's. My dash is cracking and falling apart. PO let it set in the sun for a couple years...

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Ive been working on the vent holes and am almost done with them. I also started block sanding it smooth but no pictures on it yet and will post when im down sanding unless you want anything specific.