Cracked Dashboard Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Update: I haven't finished sanding the dashboard yet but am very close and have to finish the spot where the gauge bezel attaches to the dash and where the emblem attaches with the AC vents. Anyway on to the pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

A close up of each defrost vent:

Do you remember any holes in the dash?

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cant wait to see the finished product! I own an 85 but my dash pad is new but I hate the waves in it

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Is that the one that is made with a flimsy plastic?

Thanks guys!

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no, it is pretty thick its the legit replacement dash pad but being that they aren't made to be rigid, they sometimes get waves :/

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Have some words of wisdom or things to look out for when doing a project like this. When i mixed the resin with the glass material, the resin had air bubbles and this is proving to be an unexpected problem. During sanding, the air bubbles come to the surface and leave holes that must be refilled to get a smooth surface. I am not sure as to what causes the air bubbles but i think its because the outside air is too cold, when it was hot enough for the resin to be runny, i didnt get bubbles in the resin.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
its cool to see someone cover their dash with fiber glass... my plan for my 400 was to fiber glass it so I can get rid of the ugly speaker holes and vent hole... im gonna use a billet grill in the vent area... but im going to try a different method... im going to use fleece blanket, rap my dash with it, use tooth floss to bring the blanket down around the gauge pod down and such... then once im done you just use the fiber glass resin... then sand it and body fill for a nice finish...

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
its part of the process, they sell rollers just for the purpose of getting those bubbles out

http://www.uscomposites.com/fgrollers.html

Thanks for the info

its cool to see someone cover their dash with fiber glass... my plan for my 400 was to fiber glass it so I can get rid of the ugly speaker holes and vent hole... im gonna use a billet grill in the vent area... but im going to try a different method... im going to use fleece blanket, rap my dash with it, use tooth floss to bring the blanket down around the gauge pod down and such... then once im done you just use the fiber glass resin... then sand it and body fill for a nice finish...

I got rid of the speaker holes as well and relocated the speakers into the doors. I chose the glass material fabric because it is very thin compared to fiberglass mat, keep in mind the thickness you can make the dash before it starts to interfere with anything. Also be sure to post pictures :deal: