Coolant temp questions? *PLEASE HELP*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbrody913

Reaction score
Ok so my truck 89 GMC Sierra 4.3L c1500 has the coolant temp for the light but I was thinking could I use a coolant temp sensor like this run one wire to the original wire that goes to ecu for the light then another wire to a gauge? Has anyone done this do y'all think it will work? Please all advice welcomed thanks in advance ✌

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-200042.png
    Screenshot_20221020-200042.png
    611.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bluetooth OBDII dongle, with Dashcommand app will read the temp from the ECU.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so my truck has the coolant temp for the light but I was thinking could I use a coolant temp sensor like this run one wire to the original wire that goes to ecu for the light then another wire to a gauge? Has anyone done this do y'all think it will work? Please all advice welcomed thanks in advance ✌
WHAT VEHICLE???

Why? What do you think you're gaining?

Does that sensor have the same signal on both terminals? Is it properly calibrated to drive the dash gauge, which uses an entirely different grounding system than the ECM? Do you not have a dash gauge? Do you understand that a dash light is--usually--driven by a temperature SWITCH, not a temp sending unit or sensor? Are you trying to install an aftermarket/add-on gauge? MORE INFORMATION NEEDED.

First Guess: Total waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm that MIGHT work with the ECM but could make the dash gauge or light crazy.

bbrody913

Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE???

Why? What do you think you're gaining?

Does that sensor have the same signal on both terminals? Is it properly calibrated to drive the dash gauge, which uses an entirely different grounding system than the ECM? Do you not have a dash gauge? Do you understand that a dash light is--usually--driven by a temperature SWITCH, not a temp sending unit or sensor? Are you trying to install an aftermarket/add-on gauge? MORE INFORMATION NEEDED.

First Guess: Total waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm that MIGHT work with the ECM but could make the dash gauge or light crazy.
Sorry about that totally forgot to add vehicle I edited the post. The truck doesn't have a temp gauge and want to add one and where the sensor is now would be the best spot being it will read straight from block and not have to wait for thermostat to open was just trying to find easiest route to add a gauge pretty much and idk about the signals and all that stuff that's why I'm asking if anyone has done something like this

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would connect to engine coolant temperature sensor/sendor on side of head and leave the sensor for the ECM for the ECM.

Last edited:

bbrody913

Reaction score
Bluetooth OBDII dongle, with Dashcommand app will read the temp from the ECU.
Forgot to put vehicle description but it's a 89 does have the obd2
I would connect to engine coolant temperature sensor/sendor on side of block and leave the sensor for the ECM for the ECM.
Not quite understanding what your saying so just connect a wire to the same wire that goes to the coolant temp sensor and a gauge will work?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
89 is not obd2.
One wire is ground, the other is signal. What temperature gauge do you have?