Computer controlled cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rebuilding my 98 5.7 . When selecting a cam do I need to select one that is "computer cotrolled"

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and no. What do you have in mind?
Just want looking to more power and it will mostly driven on the weekend to run errands etc. And have fun with. I purchased this kit from summit but delivery Eta is December and that eta could change. Just trying to see if I can find something else in stock.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want looking to more power and it will mostly driven on the weekend to run errands etc. And have fun with. I purchased this kit from summit but delivery Eta is December and that eta could change. Just trying to see if I can find something else in stock.
I just spun a main bearing in my ‘97 5.7 so I’m following this thread because I have the same questions! lol
I’ve just now started my investigating/researching my options…so I don’t really have any input to provide…but I have come across material that says there is an issue with valve springs and which styles with work with the heads without being machined…so you might wanna check on the ones that come with this package as well…ofcourse I guess doesn’t matter if you’re planning on having a lot of machine work done to your heads as well…something about the beehive style…

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spun a main bearing in my ‘97 5.7 so I’m following this thread because I have the same questions! lol
I’ve just now started my investigating/researching my options…so I don’t really have any input to provide…but I have come across material that says there is an issue with valve springs and which styles with work with the heads without being machined…so you might wanna check on the ones that come with this package as well…ofcourse I guess doesn’t matter if you’re planning on having a lot of machine work done to your heads as well…something about the beehive style…
Yeah I did a bunch of research as well, about a month or so ago. The folks on this forum are very helpful. I ended up buying new heads because I found crack in both of my stock heads, but read the vortec heads are prone to cracking and it isn't uncommon. I bought these as replacement https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-151124

Just hoping to decide on a different cam so I don't have to wait until December , or longer. I may just look at buying the parts individually instead of a kit. Just not sure about the need of a computer controlled cam. I also heard I could reuse my stock lifters.

Anyone know this would be ok to do?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This one runs well with the stock converter.

This one likes a little more converter than stock, around a 2,500 stall speed.

Given the time delivery aspect and the ease of tuning as well as the increased low-end grunt, I would probably go with the 1st one.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they referring to your existing computer stock ecm fuel system, versus a non computerized like Holley, Carter four barrel etc.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are they referring to your existing computer stock ecm fuel system, versus a non computerized like Holley, Carter four barrel etc.

I'm not sure what "logic" they use, mabye they guesstimate whether or not a stock tune will run worth a crap? Stock ICL is 111 on the Vortecs, 109 for the marine cam which GM specs with its 383 that it specs with a stock tune. That second one that L31 linked says not computer compatible which is a load of crap. Hopefully this puts OP's mind at ease.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "logic" they use, mabye they guesstimate whether or not a stock tune will run worth a crap? Stock ICL is 111 on the Vortecs, 109 for the marine cam which GM specs with its 383 that it specs with a stock tune. That second one that L31 linked says not computer compatible which is a load of crap. Hopefully this puts OP's mind at ease.
XM270HR is the 2nd cam and it is one that Vortec Blazer used in his rig. I have also run it in a L31.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In this day and age my first consideration has to be in my emissions state, is it 50 state legal compatible. Then choose what fits my driving objectives. If the smog isnt a problem alot computers can adapt to perform well on cam change. The problem starts when radical profiles 4500 to 5500 rpm power grind. With crap idle, vaccum drives the ecm nuts. I have to look it up but i think the crate 383 comes with a different cam grind, not the hot one the replacement upgrade. Another thing the manufacturer s have deal with is not just the math, cam specs grind etc, shows it falls wthin approved parameters. Calif. Requires physical actual testing, on vehicle dyno soforth. Rather than spend that kind of big dollars that the state could still say " nope not ever". They just say " not compatible". It's a tough game for aftermarket suppliers.