cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a K&N filter in the stock box of my red truck before I bought the K&N FIPK, and the filter oil fouled my MAF sensor. I know most are probably thinking I over oiled it, nope. That was straight out of the box. Luckily the MAF came back to life with some cleaning. After that I bought the K&N FIPK intake with the thought that maybe that setup was different enough to keep the MAF isolated from the filter oil splatters. It wasn't, same thing happened again. I put a dry Amsoil EA filter on the FIPK and never had that issue again.

All this was enough to ensure that I never use an oiled gauze air filter on a vehicle with a MAF again. Back to ACDelco dry paper filters for me.

On that note, there are two different sizes of filter that fit in the factory Vortec box. The standard size, and a larger high capacity (K47) one. The ACDelco part number for the larger high capacity paper filter is A1301C.
On the other hand I have used nothing but K&Ns or Airaid oiled filters on numerous vehicles both GM and Nissan with a MAF or TWO and have never had an issue. Then again I hit the MAF with cleaner ever now and then even if it has a paper filter. When you shut the engine off, unburned fuel in the intake will eventually form gunk inside the maf as the heated air and fuel inside the manifold when the engine is shut-off finds its way out and condenses there. The unburned fuel will also varnish up the throttle plate or throttle plates as well.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
I had a K&N filter in the stock box of my red truck before I bought the K&N FIPK, and the filter oil fouled my MAF sensor. I know most are probably thinking I over oiled it, nope. That was straight out of the box. Luckily the MAF came back to life with some cleaning. After that I bought the K&N FIPK intake with the thought that maybe that setup was different enough to keep the MAF isolated from the filter oil splatters. It wasn't, same thing happened again. I put a dry Amsoil EA filter on the FIPK and never had that issue again.

All this was enough to ensure that I never use an oiled gauze air filter on a vehicle with a MAF again. Back to ACDelco dry paper filters for me.

On that note, there are two different sizes of filter that fit in the factory Vortec box. The standard size, and a larger high capacity (K47) one. The ACDelco part number for the larger high capacity paper filter is A1301C.
I have the big 6” cylinder Filter this is my second one I just don’t care to buy a filter 2x a year or less depending everything lol but I do know of your problem people have had so I have an extra paper filter to use as k&n dries out for a day or 2. I can tell a small difference between them k&n is better engine feels more alive and anyone could also put the cone/pyramid shorty filter just get one with top takes air in too may give desired wants in the stock air box! There’s a guy that just won TOTM last month that has a ton of work under his hood as he probably owns a speed shop or a shop of metal fabing he may have answers or something he can make custom to get what you feel needed? I know I’d like a strut bar but that’s just me and anything that actually improves hp/trq numbers along with fuel mileage I’m all for!!! Even to get 300hp from stock 255hp would be good enough for me lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
But if anyone on here has an volant intake it’d be nice to know what they think of it and has it improved anything in anyway? Lol

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But if anyone on here has an volant intake it’d be nice to know what they think of it and has it improved anything in anyway? Lol
About 15-20 hp on my brothers cammed 99 Suburban and similar on my Tahoe with a cammed 305. While its not as loud as an open filter, it has a healthy growl at WOT. My 2011 Pathfinder also has a Volant on it.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
But it being cammed what would be actual on just a stock 5.7? Just bolting on the volant you think?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
K&N published a little book most V-8 applications gained 10-15 horsepower.

A replacement element in the stock air box was 5-10 hp on average.

Generally the cold air vs. just the element got the same fuel economy gains but the cold air made more power.

Without tuning the different air setups will not make best power.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
I cut a 4" hole just behind the headlight, fabricated a 4" 90 degree turn, and a 4' x 10" scoop behind the right-side of the grill. ...Both cool air & a bit of a 'ram air' ..... The 4" tubing is stainless steel, so it holds the shape very well. It took a Saturday, and no cost.

Attachments

• newest engine pic.jpg
    newest engine pic.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 53

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Volant Power Core filter (Donaldson) is double plus good. That's the only aftermarket setup I would run.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Volant Power Core filter (Donaldson) is double plus good. That's the only aftermarket setup I would run.
My van has an OEM Donaldson designed air box on it with a K&N filter. Works very well with the 4" intake ducting connected to it except for the extreme heat soak when idling around town.