Clock spring replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yeyyyey

Reaction score
1995 Chevy 1500 ex-cab

hey guys, looking to see if anyone has replaced their clock spring in the past. Main question is which manufacturer/brand is worth purchasing? Looking to buy new

Reason for replacement is my horn just started blasting randomly while the truck was parked.

Any input?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
May not necessarily be the clock spring to blame. Could simply be the horn contacts in the airbag cover.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK,apparently the clock spring in a truck is not the same as the springs I'm used to working with. I'm a clockmaker and if someone asked me about a clock spring I would think they're asking about the mainspring that you wind up to power the clock.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK,apparently the clock spring in a truck is not the same as the springs I'm used to working with. I'm a clockmaker and if someone asked me about a clock spring I would think they're asking about the mainspring that you wind up to power the clock.
Basically a "set of wires on a reel" - 1995-up on the GM light trucks; the non-airbag models wouldn't have one as there's no other items on the GMT400's to require that type of electrical connection - just the horn, which uses the traditional spring-loaded contact onto the ring inside the column housing. So for the early trucks the clockspring is pretty simple, and they're about $25.
You must be registered for see images attach

For later stuff (GMT800's for example) that may be optioned with a bunch of steering wheel controls - radio buttons, driver info display buttons, etc. along with the airbag.. the clockspring is doing a lot of electrical connectivity work. Those are around $200..

It's why whenever you're doing steering column work where the steering shaft is disconnected from the box, you *must* tie the steering wheel off so it can't freewheel, as you can break the clockspring otherwise.

Replacing the intermediate steering shaft and lower steering column bearing in my wife's '06 for the notorious steering clunking/rattling.. I found a bungee cord to the shifter works great!

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, I never knew they called that the clockspring. I just called it the horn contact spring. I threw one of those later ones away when I was gutting and simplifying an '98 S-10 column. Guess I should have put it up for sale along with the ECM that went in the trash too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Huh, I never knew they called that the clockspring. I just called it the horn contact spring. I threw one of those later ones away when I was gutting and simplifying an '98 S-10 column. Guess I should have put it up for sale along with the ECM that went in the trash too.
Maybe. I don't think they go bad too often on the earlier trucks. The later ones seem a bit more prone to it since they have so many functions. Also, improper servicing probably kills them more than natural causes.

I had one go bad on a nearly new 2016 F450SD. Symptoms started with the radio volume would randomly go FULL BLAST and the only thing you could do was reach over and turn off the power; it would quit responding to the steering wheel button. Then later it just gave up completely and lost all functions (buttons, horn, airbag), and made a ratcheting noise whenever you turned the wheel - complete failure at 26K miles. Took it to the dealer and apparently a lot of them were failing as they gave me the runaround on simply replacing it, they wanted me to leave the truck for "5 to 6 days before our guys can even look at it." ...

Fast forward EIGHT years later, Ford is recalling 310K of these 2016 model trucks because of this. https://www.click2houston.com/news/...ks-to-fix-problem-with-drivers-front-air-bag/ "The recall covers certain F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550 Super Duty trucks from the 2016 model year." "Owners may hear popping or clicking noises inside the steering wheel, or steering wheel switches and the horn might not work. They may also see an air bag warning light notifying them of the problem."

Richard