Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys.....my 93 sierra build is finally done(or close enough) and it's week three of daily driving it. My check engine light is on and at first I didn't care bc it's a 93, doesn't matter for nys inspection. But now it's driving me nuts.........I can't help but notice that the obd connector looks compatible with obd2 tools.....it should likely be obd1 given its a '93 though......can I use my obd 2 scan tool? How do I shut this bright annoying light off?? Thanks in advance!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys.....my 93 sierra build is finally done(or close enough) and it's week three of daily driving it. My check engine light is on and at first I didn't care bc it's a 93, doesn't matter for nys inspection. But now it's driving me nuts.........I can't help but notice that the obd connector looks compatible with obd2 tools.....it should likely be obd1 given its a '93 though......can I use my obd 2 scan tool? How do I shut this bright annoying light off?? Thanks in advance!

Obd 2 will not work for obd 1. Do you know your code?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can use the ‘ol paper clip trick. Can’t remember what pins need to use, google should know. I’m the same as you, hate having a light on lol. My 98 comes on now n then, it passed but still drives me nuts.

Reaction score
Well I'm not totally sure how to check the code the light doesn't flash it usually comes on 5 to 10 minutes after it comes up to temperature and goes away once it's shut off only to come on again after some runtime it seems to run pretty good but it would be nice not to have the burning orange light on my dash.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm not totally sure how to check the code the light doesn't flash it usually comes on 5 to 10 minutes after it comes up to temperature and goes away once it's shut off only to come on again after some runtime it seems to run pretty good but it would be nice not to have the burning orange light on my dash.
Information. It's out there...everywhere. On the innernets.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273660

Richard

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are old school and like to read a physical service manual, my Hanes Chev Gmc 88 to 98 has complete instructions to safely retrieve codes 1995 and earlier. Chapter 6 Emissions. Good luck.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My CEL did the same thing on my Suburban. Both the paper clip flash trick and a real scan tool (checked by two different mechanics) tracked it back to the EGR valve every time. This despite the EGR valve being replaced in the past, and current one functioning perfectly... per the same two mechanics. One gave a sensible explanation that carbon build-up in old engines would break loose and blow past the EGR valve, setting off the CEL when there was no actual problem. He installed a screen before the valve that was supposed to catch/stop the carbon, and also recommended several rounds of Chevron/Techron fuel system cleaner, but that didn't change anything. Other mechanic said he thought the BCM was sending a false signal and turning the light on, and quoted me $800 for a replacement BCM. Um, no. It was annoying but I just learned to live with the light.