cheap servo trick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a cheap trick we do a good bit if a customer doesn't want to spend the $ for a shift kit, but wants a good harsh shift. Thought I would share.
This is a stock servo...
You must be registered for see images attach

Take the snap ring out, and remove the spring

Discard the spring, and shim the cover with a few large washers. Make it so the snap ring will barely fit in the groove. Make it TIGHT! That will give you a great 1/2 shift.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Why not just use the vette servo? Its like $15 bucks...

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I thought about getting a vette servo while my tranny was getting rebuilt, but after it was done, and I drove it the first time I changed my mind. S.O.B shifts FIRM!

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vette servo is a different concept. It firms the shift a little, but it's only part of the mod. This can be added to the vette servo. The spring you take out, is the servo cushion spring. By taking it out, you are removing part of the cushion which gives you a firmer shift. The Sonnax and Fairbanks servo's are built without this spring. When changing from a stock servo to a Vette servo, your only adding to the apply area.

The smaller the apply area on this chart, the firmer the shift. With the spring removed and washer's shimming the cover, it doubles the firmness.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
where is the servo? can this be changed without a rebuild.. ?

Passenger side towards the front. There's a retaining ring that holds it into place. Can't miss it. Bout a 4" disc. The exhaust is somewhat in the way, but its definitely doable.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid