cheap but affective, homemade cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
though some people might be interested. heres a parts list: K&N or another type of performance filter, 2 peices of 4" diameter 45 degree pvc ends, and a 2.5" pvc cap. you can actually run the pipe wherever you want. i just put mine behind the whole in the fender thinking it might still suck cold air from there. and i have noticed a slight power gain and gas mielage increse. and you can actually hear the motor sucking air now. the outside of the intake isnt smooth yet but the inside is as smooth as the expensive K&N intake thats on my ford. and should flow just as good as a K&N intake. i already had the filter so total cost was only $16

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
All you used was two 45s? Could you use that setup and leave the stock intake box?

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you used was two 45s? Could you use that setup and leave the stock intake box?

Yes all I used was two 45's. and you could use a similar setup and use the stock box but instead of using two 45's you would need a strait piece and a 90 degree piece. I did that mod first but it sucked more air like this.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Yes all I used was two 45's. and you could use a similar setup and use the stock box but instead of using two 45's you would need a strait piece and a 90 degree piece. I did that mod first but it sucked more air like this.

When you say "sucked more air" do you mean "made more noise"?

Just curious. You got rid of the bumpy tube going from the airbox to the throttle body, but you are ingesting warmer air than before. To each his own, but I don't think this or the Vortec box removal help other than the noise factor. I'm an old geezer and I used to flip the lid on an air cleaner to get that sound. The car seemed faster, but it was because it was noisier.

Last edited:

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It did sound louder. That's. why I'm assuming it sucked more air. I'm not done yet though. I'm going to post pics of what I'm talking about doing and see what y'all think.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score

Hmm ok so one 90 and a piece of straight all 4"? And it will work?