cheap but affective, homemade cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, you are.

The fender is an area of high pressure air (it ducts from behind the front grill) the engine bay is an area of low pressure, behind the filter even lower.

All a fan in the opening is going to do is churn up the air and make it more turbulent.

You best bet is to reseal the intake filter area to the opening in the fender.

You'll loose the "whoosh" sound, but the performance and mpg will be better....

in that case i will probably leave it off..or try it with it on and off to see the difference.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I test fitted the 4" pipe and it was way to big on mine! I think it is 3"? This is what mine looks like. Would it help at all if I just swap out the coil spring like rubber piece and put just a piece of PVC?

You must be registered for see images attach

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I test fitted the 4" pipe and it was way to big on mine! I think it is 3"? This is what mine looks like. Would it help at all if I just swap out the coil spring like rubber piece and put just a piece of PVC?

yours is a little different than mine. one of the sensors is different. but yes. thats pretty much what i did is just replaced the spongy peice. and that was my mistake. it is a 3". replacing the spongy piece alows for a smoother air flow.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
yours is a little different than mine. one of the sensors is different. but yes. thats pretty much what i did is just replaced the spongy peice. and that was my mistake. it is a 3". replacing the spongy piece alows for a smoother air flow.

Haha no worries I should have checked it real quick while I was at Home Depot I will just swap them out. But sounds good then I will just see if they have a rubber piece that would be basically be a direct swap. If not I will just get 3" straight pipe and make it work. At that point I will just take what I get and see what happens!

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha no worries I should have checked it real quick while I was at Home Depot I will just swap them out. But sounds good then I will just see if they have a rubber piece that would be basically be a direct swap. If not I will just get 3" straight pipe and make it work. At that point I will just take what I get and see what happens!

my factory 90 degree piece your ambient air temp sensor goes in to was bent real bad, so thats the only reason i changed that piec. otherwise, that peice flows fine

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you with that in mind, you are moving forward with your plan???

i never planed on putting it in my intake.. just in that fender..its a possibility that will help. and yes im still going to put it there and see what happens. it doesnt take but 2 seconds to put on and take off if it doesnt help