Changing tires fast ‘ Going opposite ways ..Need opinions on what will ride smoother and be good for a 5k suv ”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've run ATs several times, mostly BFGs, and never noticed any balance issues, on trucks from an S10 to a 2500. The only reason I didn't recommend BFG ATs, is they get noisy after a while. Very noticeable on the 2500.

I had a set of MTs on a 1500, Cooper STT, if I remember correct. Cool looking, and did pretty good in the little bit of mud they seen, but holy crap, were they loud at highway speed. I knew then, I'd never buy another set.

It’s .5” side wall difference from one to the other so I’m not really sure the other @GoToGuy said 50 series tires run really firm. Well It’s gonna be a shorter sidewall by default it’s a 20 inch wheel not a 15-16-17 .. so a 50 series all season will ride harder than a 33 inch all-terrain with nearly the same sidewall? Or is this cause of the tires compound differences .

I mention earlier I feel like these trucks ride the same with a 235 75 15 stock with a huge side wall as worse as they do on a 20 inch rubber band tire .. obviously I’m not running rubber band tires , 33x12.50 aren’t such … it’s just an analogy trying to figure it all out
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's just physical dimensions. A low profile tire has less flexibility and or performance oriented designed stiffer sidewall. You can juggle the numbers profile and width and keep the same diameter.
Many off road tires are also higher load rating , therefore are s stiffer construction.

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
I run BF Goodrich KO2's on both of my Tahoe's and the SCLB.
I am real happy with them, except for the price ...

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I forget which Continentals I put on the fiancée's Tahoe, but I'm really impressed with them. They look like a street tire, but her truck still goes really well in snow and dirt. Haven't driven it in mud. Up until the Continentals, I thought I'd put another set of Mastercraft Courser HSX's on my truck. Nope, the Continentals ride nicer, are quieter and grip better.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is your lifted 2wd used for?
What gears are in that rearend?
What is the backspace on those 20" rims?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run BF Goodrich KO2's on both of my Tahoe's and the SCLB.
I am real happy with them, except for the price ...

Ditto. They are my goto for 4WD vehicles. They're on the heavy side though.

Cooper AT3 is also a good tire, but in my experience they are louder than the KO2 in the highway.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X3 for BFG KO2s. Love mine on both '97s.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I've seen a ton of people recommend Toyo AT3s, for their durability, performance, and low noise for an AT tire. Enough that I'll probably be going that direction when I need tires for my daily.

I had a set of the Toyo AT3s on my green Tacoma...not low noise at all, and they were P-metrics. Great everywhere else, however.

Ditto. They are my goto for 4WD vehicles. They're on the heavy side though.

Cooper AT3 is also a good tire, but in my experience they are louder than the KO2 in the highway.
X3 for BFG KO2s. Love mine on both '97s.

K02s are GREAT looking tire and wear like iron, but I've found them to be lacking in the wet traction area.

My top contenders are the Yokohama Geolandar G015, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W(don't have any opinions on the new AT4W), and the Continental TerrainContact AT.

If you want a highway tread with an "aggressive" looking sidewall, check out the Falken Wildpeak HT02.