Cat or no Cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdslyde

Reaction score
My 1989 K2500 seems sluggish where I am wondering if the cat is plugged somewhat. I notice eveything before the cat is 3.00" diameter and after is something much smaller, so I was thinking if I am going to start putting time and money on that subject, I might as well just change all the pipe to 3.00" diameter and run without a Cat. Any reason why I shouldn't? Also, any other tips? Does anyone try to just go dual exhaust on these?

cdslyde

Reaction score
My 1989 K2500 seems sluggish where I am wondering if the cat is plugged somewhat. I notice eveything before the cat is 3.00" diameter and after is something much smaller, so I was thinking if I am going to start putting time and money on that subject, I might as well just change all the pipe to 3.00" diameter and run without a Cat. Any reason why I shouldn't? Also, any other tips? Does anyone try to just go dual exhaust on these?
I take some of that back. It looks like there is 3.00" pipe all the way back to the muffler and then the muffler has two smaller pipes coming out. It kind of seems the Y pipe may be a bit restrictive at the bends, not sure.

cdslyde

Reaction score
I take some of that back. It looks like there is 3.00" pipe all the way back to the muffler and then the muffler has two smaller pipes coming out. It kind of seems the Y pipe may be a bit restrictive at the bends, not sure.
The Cat doesn't seem that old, but when I drive the truck, it seems restricted and very quiet....like too quiet, makes me think the cat is clogged or something.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, get rid of that huge muffler, and put a set of free flowing mufflers, or one 2 into 1 free flowing muffler. The more restrictions you remove, the better the engine will perform, at least to a point. The exhaust system on the 96-98 trucks are very restrictive.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, 1 more thing, your truck will NOT pass emissions testing, without the cats.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might as well just change all the pipe to 3.00" diameter and run without a Cat. Any reason why I shouldn't?

As a personal preference, I like to keep the cat.

I once removed the cat from my '95 S10 4.3TBI, just for grins. Without it, the truck exhaust smelled like a '66 BelAir. I didn't like to leave it idling in the driveway b/c it would stink up the house. I eventually re-installed it.

Ditto with my '95 S10 L31 V8 conversion (different S10 than that above^^^). Once the V8 engine was in, I drove it for a while with some hacksawed exhaust system that I had grafted-on. Same deal: Smelled like a '66 BelAir. Later I had a custom exhaust system installed front to back, cat included.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1989 K2500
Pellet-style catalyst. Moderate chance there's no pellets in it any more. Used to see cars with pellet cats occasionally spitting beads out the tailpipe after they've gone through the exhaust pipe, muffler, and tailpipe.

The pellet-style cats were restrictive when new. Modern cats are honeycomb/monolithic and not as restrictive.

Any reason why I shouldn't?
Illegal--violates FEDERAL law. The only thing you have going for you is that there's little enforcement unless the State or County does it.

It's also going to be a D-I-Y project, no decent shop will touch a catalyst delete as it carries a potential $10,000 fine--and there IS enforcement on that, although it's spotty.

Does anyone try to just go dual exhaust on these?
Possible. Not popular. Both pipes need to go down the right side to avoid the transfer case and fuel tank. There are dual-exhaust, twin-catalyst systems for certain vehicles/certain engines in GMT400 trucks--but you're locked-out of that as you can legally only put one cat under your truck.

You might as well cram a high-flow "Y" pipe, high-flow catalyst, and big pipes back to the muffler and tailpipe.
www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-2831sy

To remove your cats, you will need to ether tune the rear 02 sensors out...
1989 doesn't have rear/downstream O2 sensor(s).

The exhaust system on the 96-98 trucks are very restrictive.
1989, TBI.

Oh, 1 more thing, your truck will NOT pass emissions testing, without the cats.
Yup. But it's a single catalyst.

As a personal preference, I like to keep the cat.

I once removed the cat from my '95 S10 4.3TBI, just for grins. Without it, the truck exhaust smelled like a '66 BelAir.
It's been so long since cars didn't come with catalysts, that when they're disabled/removed/defective, folks aren't used to the stench.

cdslyde

Reaction score
Pellet-style catalyst. Moderate chance there's no pellets in it any more. Used to see cars with pellet cats occasionally spitting beads out the tailpipe after they've gone through the exhaust pipe, muffler, and tailpipe.

The pellet-style cats were restrictive when new. Modern cats are honeycomb/monolithic and not as restrictive.

Illegal--violates FEDERAL law. The only thing you have going for you is that there's little enforcement unless the State or County does it.

It's also going to be a D-I-Y project, no decent shop will touch a catalyst delete as it carries a potential $10,000 fine--and there IS enforcement on that, although it's spotty.

Possible. Not popular. Both pipes need to go down the right side to avoid the transfer case and fuel tank. There are dual-exhaust, twin-catalyst systems for certain vehicles/certain engines in GMT400 trucks--but you're locked-out of that as you can legally only put one cat under your truck.

You might as well cram a high-flow "Y" pipe, high-flow catalyst, and big pipes back to the muffler and tailpipe.
www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-2831sy

1989 doesn't have rear/downstream O2 sensor(s).

1989, TBI.

Yup. But it's a single catalyst.

It's been so long since cars didn't come with catalysts, that when they're disabled/removed/defective, folks aren't used to the stench.
I am sure it is illegal. I don't have any inspection requirements here. Not saying that it's not illegal, just not governed by the state. O2 sensor is only before the cat