Clogged catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groovygringo

Reaction score
I've got a 96 K1500 with the 5.7 and one of my cats is clogged, I can hear the honey comb in there rattling around and sometimes when I'm driving I can feel it get lodged in the pipe and cause my truck to sputter. Can I just cut it off and put a pipe there? There's an o2 sensor right after it going towards the back of the truck. I don't want my truck to be hootin and hollerin because it's my work truck but I don't have the cash for a new cat right now, will it still be pretty quiet if I cut just the 1 cat off?

Attachments

• IMG_6245.jpeg
    IMG_6245.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 5

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes just cut it out and add a straight pipe. It won’t make it noisy without the cat. The check engine light will pop on but it will run fine. If you have inspections there then add a cat back in when you have cash but it not then don’t worry about it.

Groovygringo

Reaction score
Yes just cut it out and add a straight pipe. It won’t make it noisy without the cat. The check engine light will pop on but it will run fine. If you have inspections there then add a cat back in when you have cash but it not then don’t worry about it.
Check engine lights been on since I bought it haha but it doesn't have inspections here. Thanks for the info.