Carb swap... What do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88ChevyMan

Reaction score
Hey yall, I'm putting a Quadrabog 750 on my 88 soon, and I'm wanting to know, what do i need the ecu for? I've got a manual trans, all my lights are old school relay and what not, the only thing i can possibly think I'd need the brains for still is the speedo. It's got the fancy digical cluster with the 10 million pin plug in the back of it. No gauges besides fuel soo... Am i just stuck with the ecu hanging out behind the glove box for them two or is there a way to delete on that and save them precious ounces?

jigsaw

Reaction score
88 should be a 7004r trans which is cable driven. Also u need to change to a hei distributor

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the ECU for torque converter lockup unless you convert it to use a vacuum switch. You do not need the ECU for the distributor if you're willing to run locked timing. The speedo also doesn't need the ECU.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
750CFM is the old 704 series. Good carbs but the 1704 series in 850 CFM is a better carb. You can control CFM with the secondary throttle plate opening. What I like most about the 1704 carbs is you can adjust primary part throttle(cruise) fuel by driving out the little plug in the middle of the top plate and thread and install an 1/8" socket head pipe plug. Remove the plug to reach down in there and adjust primary needle depth.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: "Quadrabog" - You can tune the secondary opening rate to eliminate the bog. I did that on my '81 Camaro. I still have a Q-Jet on my shelf, but it's not handy at the moment so I can't post a pic of the adjustment screw. I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

88ChevyMan

Reaction score
You need the ECU for torque converter lockup unless you convert it to use a vacuum switch. You do not need the ECU for the distributor if you're willing to run locked timing. The speedo also doesn't need the ECU.
Aha, thank you sir! What about if its nv3500 manual tho? Thats electronic controlled, I've already replaced the speed sensor once.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manual tranny is not computer controlled,it's driver controlled and the speed sensor goes to the I/panel. If you drop kick the ECM over the fence everything should still work.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah all the gauges will still work. Just don't undo the ground next to the thermostat otherwise the gas gauge won't work.

I've unhooked the computer fuse and completely taken out the computer it made no difference. I guess it would only effect the fuel pump if you hook the purple wire with the white line up to the distributor but I didn't do that. I used these 2 wires off the relay. I think the 88 is a different color code than a 92.
You must be registered for see images attach
here's all my gauges off THEN on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nah all the gauges will still work. Just don't undo the ground next to the thermostat otherwise the gas gauge won't work.

I've unhooked the computer fuse and completely taken out the computer it made no difference. I guess it would only effect the fuel pump if you hook the purple wire with the white line up to the distributor but I didn't do that. I used these 2 wires off the relay. I think the 88 is a different color code than a 92.
here's all my gauges off THEN on.