Can't keep power steering lines from blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duallylife

Reaction score
Not really sure if this belongs in this category but I couldn't find a better spot. I have a 1993 k3500 with the hydraboost, I replaced most of the pressure lines and the PWS cooler and installed a new pump, fall of 2019, everything was good untill start of last summer I blew one of the new pressure lines so I replaced it again, then the other one blew, replaced that too, since then it has blown about 3 more times, and its starting to leak again, I believe its the hydra-boost to gear line that blows most often, always in the same spot right where they crimp the rubber to metal, at almost 80$ a pop for lines not including all the fluid cost I would like to get this figured out as my new pump has started to groan from being run dry a few times, any ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figure out why the pressure is so high.

A. Something is restricted that shouldn't be, or
B. The pressure relief valve in the pump is stuck closed.

Duallylife

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but considering most of my return hoses are held on with cheap clamps I figure if anything on the return side is blocked it would probably just blow the hose off? How do I test the pressure relief?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're popping hoses on the pressure side, not the return side. The return side doesn't have excess pressure.

Something on the pressure side is faulty--the pressure relief valve, or a restriction ahead of the return hose(s).

Only way I know of to test a pressure relief valve is to connect PS pressure gauges, compare to spec.

You could remove the valve from the back of the pump and see if there's anything visibly wrong with it.

Does the PS pump hum when you turn the steering to full lock?

Duallylife

Reaction score
I'll have to check into the guage, can you remove it from the pump while in the vehicle? I can't imagine how since its so tight? how do you remove it from the pump without removing the reservoir, I hate to have to pull the pump since its such a pain, hard to get the hoses on the back and my rad has to come out to get my pulley puller on the front... Last I remember it stilled hummed at full lock, I'm pretty OCD about holding my vehicles at full lock and hearing that pump sing for mercy or steering sharply when I'm not moving lol, when I go "full crank" I usually bump lock and let off a bit so quick it doesnt have time to hum loud enough to hear it. I don't know if it matters but ever since I put the new pump and steering box in my wheel won't self center, it will slowly center itself 3/4 the way one direction from a 4 way stop, if its not too sharp of a corner, but not the other direction, it kind of tries but won't. That could maybe be alignment though? I replaced every steering component and most of the suspension components upfront when I did the pump and did a "good enough" alignment, wears the tires not too bad so I have been too lazy to bring it in.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Guess: The "new" steering box wasn't built right.

Parts-store rebuilt boxes are a total crapshoot. Guys post that they need three of 'em to get one that works properly. Next guy says his rebuilt box is the greatest thing he's ever done to the truck.

The specialty builders--Red Top, Green Top, and the others--seem to have a better batting average; but they're also way more money.

Duallylife

Reaction score
It wasn't brand new from a parts store, I got it from a scrap yard, it was a hell of alot tighter then mine and the truck only had 60k km's, was a service truck and got hit in the back so it was wrote off. So the "new" box was brand used haha.