Can the 120 amp optional alternator drop right in if you have the 105 amp standard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget L3 on 3 Phase systems :waytogo: Then let's talk "Y" and "Delta" transformers too - I love it! :biggrin:

This is more my speed. I'm pretty glad I went with a local alternator now that I have to return it though, since that's just gonna be a 15 minute trip instead of waiting on shipping.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New alternator is on, whines a little but I've had new ones whine at first before. Not like the first one was. At some point I lost power to my radio though so I have to figure out that one happened.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the Powermaster cs-130d 120 amp made in USA alternator with 3 yr warranty. I have one in my 98 after the AC Delco made in Mexico one crapped out in less than 2 years which had a 12 month warranty. Probably buy their starter when mine bites it too.
Hey Nitro, how long have you had the Powermaster? Did it require any mods to install. Love that it is USA made. P

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poptarts are OK until they catch on fire and burn the cabinets. Imagine how it looks when the power company linemen show up and no one knows if it's been wired Delta, Star, or Wye. Sorry for getting off track, just got reminded of a couple of things.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Nitro, how long have you had the Powermaster? Did it require any mods to install. Love that it is USA made. P
My 95's are a bit different then a 96+ but The only issue I had is on my diesel the tach reads 200 rpm high. That is due to pulley size. I wasn't going to pay like 50 bucks more for the same alt with a 2-3 mm larger pulley just to have the tach read right. Truck runs right since all the important things get its rpm reading from the crank sensor. Ive had the one on my diesel for about 3 years no issues. Ive had the one on my gasser for about 4-5 years and no issues.