2-3” RC Lift - what the website reviews won’t tell you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d like to preface this by admitting I (regretfully) did very little research before buying this kit. Many of you are likely already aware of the shortcomings of this kit and “lifting” these trucks this way, as I now am too. RC filters their website reviews and rejects anything that’s not 4-5 stars with a “this is the best lift kit EVER” so hopefully this will help inform others considering this route.

Installation of this kit is involved, but not terrible. If you’re mechanically inclined and have access to good tools, you’ll be fine. Instructions are vague at times. You definitely need a 2nd set of hands when dropping/reinstalling the front diff. Other than that most of it can be done solo. There is some cutting, drilling and grinding by design. Grinding the heat sink fins on the driver side diff takes some time. The directions are extremely vague for this step. I recommend grinding at least 1/4” to start, because hoisting the diff up and down to check fit is a PITA. I had 14 hours into my install, working solo 90% of the time and using basic hand tools.

Fitment of the parts overall is pretty good. I would check all brackets and PN’s before you dive in, as my kit had two passenger side upper diff brackets as oppose to a driver and passenger. They’re not interchangeable. I of course didn’t realize this until I was neck deep in the install. RC’s idea of outstanding customer service was to send extra brackets I didn’t need for “no additional charge”, instead of overnighting the one part like I requested so that I could get my truck back together. Thanks guys. I ended up hacking and whacking the bracket to fit.

This kit is basically a glorified torsion bar crank. Cranking the torsion bars effectively adds more preload to the spring and as a result, your ride quality will suffer. The diff drop helps to maintain reasonable CV angles, which is good, but doesn’t do anything for steering components or lower ball joints. Following the instructions in the kit, my front end was cranked so high (the 3” advertised) after initial installation, the UCA’s were basically riding on the droop stops, the CV angles were horrible, and the truck rode like absolute dog $#!+. I cut the droop stops off (like an idiot) thinking I would gain more droop travel this way and eliminate the frame splitting hit that occurred every time I drove over mildly uneven pavement. I was wrong, as it was the CV axles binding and limiting the droop travel. Turns out, the “improved” UCA’s which come with the kit allow the CV’s to bind at max droop, even with the stops present.

I drove this way for about 8k miles before finally deciding to drop it down. I decranked 3/4” up front and dropped from 2” to 1.5” rear blocks to maintain level ride height. The kit torsion keys just barely allowed for this drop, any more would’ve required reinstalling the stock keys. Had to trim the front valence ever so slightly to get front tires to clear (295/55/20’s). The truck rode noticeably better, and no more CV binding. However, my positive camber now resembled an AG tractor. Alignment shop maxed out adjustment on both UCA’s to pull it in, even with the knockouts punched, but they’re still way positive and out of spec. Since I’m now below the “designed” ride height of the lift, the UCA geometry isn’t right...or maybe the UCA’s just suck in general. I’m leaning towards the latter.
So end result: truck rides better, front end isn’t destroying itself (as quickly at least), no more CV binding, alignment is okay but still too much positive camber induced by the UCAs.

In conclusion, I would not recommend this lift unless you have zero regard for ride quality, front end health, or proper alignment. The advertised 3” front, 2” rear is only achievable if you’re willing to beat the absolute mess out of your truck and yourself. 2” front, 1.5” rear is where I ended up, with a not-great-but-tolerable ride and the UCA’s preventing proper camber adjustment.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow!! I almost bought this kit couple years ago. I had a stock Tahoe that I wanted to lift in the worst way, wanted something quick since I was gonna SAS it once got the parts. Glad I didn’t...

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the "real world" review. I've been thinking of a small lift, and this kit seemed to be just what I was thinking.
Makes me lean towards the body lift .....

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lifting n IFS truck won’t ride rough if the keys are in the same spot. I have a lifted tundra, was 100% stock, had a level for a bit now has a Zone 5” lift. Uses struts n coils up front, rides just the same as stock. Slightly firmer cause using bilsteins. Any ride lifted or not, if bars are cranked it’s gonna ride rougher. I had a 99 Tahoe that had 6” lift, put Tuff Country shocks on it and rode like a cloud. Almost too soft....

Mike Pinder

Reaction score
I have this lift kit installed on my 99 2 door Tahoe, and I agree with the install notes of the OP, but so far, I am not experiencing the performance issues. With the front end on a jack, and the upper control arms on the stops, the front wheels spin freely, with no CV bind at all. After the install, my front lift measurement was 2 5/8". I would say that the ride is firmer than stock, but I also went from 45 series tires to 50 series. My tires are 325/22R50 and my truck alignment was well within spec. I did have to do some minor fender trimming on the front, but nothing crazy, since I do not use this truck off road.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Stock keys will do what lift keys do. Its just a marketing gimmick for you to buy their lift keys, as the stock keys already lift the truck plenty high. The only thing I recommend lift keys are for, is if the stock keys are worn out. If anything, I'd get a 4-6" IFS lift, since they drop the front diff and drop the torsion bars. Don't even mess with the 2-3" IFS lifts, not worth it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hate how the 4 and 6 inch RCX kits only include bullshit shocks and have no shock delete option. What do the bigger 4 and 6 inch kits do to address tie rod angles?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I've seen quite a bit of reviews on Rough Country's 4-6" lift, saying that it takes a long time to install, modifying the kit itself to fit on the truck, etc. But, it's only $1000, you get what you pay for, I guess.

mariodave

Reaction score
The 6 inch kits all use a drop center link.
If you can't afford a 6 inch kit, the only viable option is a body lift. Body lifts also have many bad side effects. I run a Superlift 6 inch. Got it for 1200 with Billstiens.