Can the 120 amp optional alternator drop right in if you have the 105 amp standard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gone through two pages of search results and had no luck finding the answer. Truck is a 1992 blazer, 5.7 tbi. The alternator died on me last night and I need a replacement soon. The parts stores have 105 and 120 amp options, I'm looking for something that absolutely drops in. Wiring isn't an issue but I do not want to mess with different brackets or anything like that. Does the 120 amp alternator fit in place of til 105?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look at GM parts diagrams 100 amp versus the bigger alternator. The case is larger and has 2 or 3 brackets to support it and takes a 1 or 2 inch longer belt.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can wait a few days you can get a powermaster 140 amp that will bolt/plug right in. They are spendy but IMHO they are worth it. I have one on each of my 95's.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can wait a few days you can get a powermaster 140 amp that will bolt/plug right in. They are spendy but IMHO they are worth it. I have one on each of my 95's.
Why would you do that when you can get a superior factory style alternator thats the same output but it will last longer
You must be registered for see images attach

wait let me back up, he said 92.
depending on what you have...

PICS PLEASE?

does it look like this

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out this post, it shows physical and some other details of various relevant alternators. The rest of the thread may be interesting to you too.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/alternator-upgrade.57087/post-1225517
You may know more about the bracket situation, can one just swap a later bracket into a 92 or would it require doing other accessories? I know the PS pump may have something to do relate to it. Basically the fear on older bracket is over powering the 2 ears (as you can see they needed a rear brace on that pic at least at one point, so adding more juice with a case that has no rear ground/anchor point and no additional steps to help it, may just mean broken bracket down the road

He could just slap a CS130 back on but those are boring

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you do that when you can get a superior factory style alternator thats the same output but it will last longer

wait let me back up, he said 92.
depending on what you have...

PICS PLEASE?

does it look like this

Can't get pics, I've got 11 more hours in my shift tonight. It doesn't look like that though. Looks like the C130

You may know more about the bracket situation, can one just swap a later bracket into a 92 or would it require doing other accessories? I know the PS pump may have something to do relate to it. Basically the fear on older bracket is over powering the 2 ears (as you can see they needed a rear brace on that pic at least at one point, so adding more juice with a case that has no rear ground/anchor point and no additional steps to help it, may just mean broken bracket down the road

Boring is fine, we are talking about a chevy here.

"can one just swap a later bracket"
Maybe, but I'm not. I'm all for useful upgrades but people really love to overdo it with alternators.

I can really, I have two other cars. The hyundai is just annoying and the Ford drinks 93 like a fish. I'm just not sure how spendy I want to get on this thing anymore.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As you (AuroraGirl) suggest, the bracket from the alternator to the intake on the pre-96 GMTs is there for a reason, and I wouldn't swap alternators unless I could re-use or retrofit a bracket to serve the same function.

As for whether 96 and later brackets could be used, I don't know but I doubt it. The 96 and later brackets (discussed here ttps://www.gmt400.com/threads/alternator-upgrade.57087/post-1225495) appear to be specific to the 96+ passenger's side accy bracket AND the two alternators offered (CS130 / CS144).

I wish I could tell you more. I've seen those brackets in the treasure yards but I never scavenged one to keep on-hand for later study.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't get pics, I've got 11 more hours in my shift tonight. It doesn't look like that though. Looks like the C130

Boring is fine, we are talking about a chevy here.

"can one just swap a later bracket"
Maybe, but I'm not. I'm all for useful upgrades but people really love to overdo it with alternators.

I can really, I have two other cars. The hyundai is just annoying and the Ford drinks 93 like a fish. I'm just not sure how spendy I want to get on this thing anymore.
im just gonna say this, if you want to get a CS130 on meth and crack juice you can but you either are going to have to realize youre shooting yourself in teh foot because heat death will come to it sooner than it really shoot, OR if you divorce the rectifier/voltage reg, solid state etc from the alternator and place it elsewhere( you can find kits to do this)

The CS130 alts are OK But the heat just eats em stock, let alone amping it up

The CS130d fixed a lot of things, made it better, but the problem is that they get hot, kill.

The AD230 came along, added more features, increased idle ouputs, reduced temperaturs, and also increased the overall robustness of hte alternators.

However, only the CS130 comes with the brace hole. Ive seen hybrid cases where theye retain that hole but you have to shell out for a custom alternator to do that.. lol.If I were you, I would get an AD230 with an ad244 rectifier on it, because it will output more over all, be cooler, and also not put such a weight/load on those mounts since the alternator can do the same amount of work with less drag on the ngine. buit I would also fab a small mount to still reinfroce the alt just instead have it running to an ear.

Well, what I really really would do is just get nicer bracket from later truck lol

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked on amazon where I bought mine and they are running about $155. I swear I paid more then that for mine 3 years ago.