Stereo Alternative to Retro Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzey

Reaction score
I've been wanting to install a new stereo in my 93 truck but have struggled with the $300 price tag from Retro Sound for a Bluetooth enabled model. After much research and trialing I have found a solution that worked for me and I wanted to share with those who might be interested.

You must be registered for see images attach

I came across the 3" gauge marine radios and started looking for the most compact model and came across the Boss MGR350B. There are other models that may fit, this is just the one I found with good reviews that also had a remote aux-in and USB kit available. I found mine on eBay for $50. Here is the dimensions if you want to try to find an alternative.

I tried to figure out how to mount it and finally came across a company in California that does 3D printing for OBS trucks panels - they custom made mine with a 3" hole. It is very sturdy and cost about $45. You can find them on Etsy 559Designs. https://www.etsy.com/listing/680320161/88-94-obs-chevy-gmc-rocker-switch-gauge?ref=lx_share

I found a salvage yard center trim piece so I could have a bit of storage and it happened to work for mounting the remote location USB and 3.5mm aux in. You can find the cable here by searching Amazon for a Boss MUSB35

I used a typical after market wiring harness and was able to fish all cables and antennae up to be connected to the new radio. I chose to solder all connections due to the small wire size on the speaker wire on the Boss side.

A bracket is used to secure the stereo in place of the mounting panel.

I know the Retro sound looks better, but for some that aren't ready to drop $300 this is an option for you. It sounds great, Bluetooth works well.

Probably the majority are wondering "why not just mount a din receiver in the middle???" - I am about to let my oldest son start driving this truck and I have always felt the "reach" over to the center is dangerous especially for a younger driver. If I had to do it over again I would probably see if they can 3d print with a gray color. I have $125 invented in this project and am happy with the results.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been wanting to install a new stereo in my 93 truck but have struggled with the $300 price tag from Retro Sound for a Bluetooth enabled model. After much research and trialing I have found a solution that worked for me and I wanted to share with those who might be interested.

I came across the 3" gauge marine radios and started looking for the most compact model and came across the Boss MGR350B. There are other models that may fit, this is just the one I found with good reviews that also had a remote aux-in and USB kit available. I found mine on eBay for $50. Here is the dimensions if you want to try to find an alternative.

I tried to figure out how to mount it and finally came across a company in California that does 3D printing for OBS trucks panels - they custom made mine with a 3" hole. It is very sturdy and cost about $45. You can find them on Etsy 559Designs. https://www.etsy.com/listing/680320161/88-94-obs-chevy-gmc-rocker-switch-gauge?ref=lx_share

I found a salvage yard center trim piece so I could have a bit of storage and it happened to work for mounting the remote location USB and 3.5mm aux in. You can find the cable here by searching Amazon for a Boss MUSB35

I used a typical after market wiring harness and was able to fish all cables and antennae up to be connected to the new radio. I chose to solder all connections due to the small wire size on the speaker wire on the Boss side.

A bracket is used to secure the stereo in place of the mounting panel.

I know the Retro sound looks better, but for some that aren't ready to drop $300 this is an option for you. It sounds great, Bluetooth works well.

Probably the majority are wondering "why not just mount a din receiver in the middle???" - I am about to let my oldest son start driving this truck and I have always felt the "reach" over to the center is dangerous especially for a younger driver. If I had to do it over again I would probably see if they can 3d print with a gray color. I have $125 invented in this project and am happy with the results.
I went with Retro Sound and like it. I just wanted a more original look, but that looks nice.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the OE radio in my '93 went tango uniform i found the Panasonic, aux in, usb, CD, remote control( avoid the lean), removable faceplate. And yeah got the radio delete storage box for missing radio. Some ultra sticky velcro to stick the remote to one of the blank switch squares on lower right dash. Can use bluetooth Panasonic adapter addon. My luck next year same model Bluetooth included.

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old thread but anyway , I don't like the single din in the middle either ,I have a radio delete panel to install as soon as I decide what I want to install. I really like the retro sound but they like them too. This is an interesting option. Maybe install it in the console cup holder closest to driver. I have the pull out drink holder on the dash that I use for my morning coffee. Thanks for the idea .