C4 corvette irs installation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not all IRS is created equal. I'm not too familiar with how good or bad the C4 was, I do know they're easier to retrofit because the axles are effectively the upper control arms, but all IRS has quirks somewhere due to packaging constraints.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using the axles as upper control arms is a compromise. Same problem with Jag diffs. Mr. Adams' assertion is that such a design has camber control issues. My Jag is such a pile that the few times we got it up to speed on track we were more worried about keeping the rust holding together and the temperature below nuclear than we were about camber. It felt sketchy as hell at any speed.

I'd say make sure the bushings are good, the diff gears and axles are tight, and roll it.

bocajoe

Reaction score

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would still take a bit of fabricating, it’s just that the 2wd frame would require massive amounts of cutting to get rid of the spring pockets and to build up again to accept the C5 cradle. I’ve decided (if I ever get the coin and the time-at the same time) to use a 2wd frame and chop it of somewhere around the firewall and just build a stub frame out of 2x3 or some such.

bocajoe

Reaction score
It would still take a bit of fabricating, it’s just that the 2wd frame would require massive amounts of cutting to get rid of the spring pockets and to build up again to accept the C5 cradle. I’ve decided (if I ever get the coin and the time-at the same time) to use a 2wd frame and chop it of somewhere around the firewall and just build a stub frame out of 2x3 or some such.

OK cool, thanks for the info and getting back to me on this. Dang it, now the wheels in my head are turning. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing LOL

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I went back to the first page and didn't reread the whole thread, it looks like we're talking about the back and not the front here?