C2500 ExtSBDD build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Been watching a lot of YouTube videos and I’m nervous how hard it may be to get 25 year old 190k bushings out of control arms but maybe I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill. Coil springs make me a bit nervous also but I’ll use a spring compressor and I have plenty of safety chain laying around also.

Bushings for my K2500 Burb were super easy on the upper arms, and a PITA on the lowers. But I was able to remove them all in a couple of hours. Really wasn't that bad at all, once I had my plan of attack. Your 2wd should be a fair bit easier, I would think.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been watching a lot of YouTube videos and I’m nervous how hard it may be to get 25 year old 190k bushings out of control arms but maybe I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill. Coil springs make me a bit nervous also but I’ll use a spring compressor and I have plenty of safety chain laying around also.
Just get new control arms. They come with the bushings installed and have new ball joints.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I hope all the rest of you guys are surviving this cold snap. This is pretty ridiculous! Just got a picture from my buddy in Austin Texas and it looks like Minnesota. Gotta be 6 inches of snow and 7 degrees. It must be Armageddon down south right now. It was -23 here this morning my wife’s vehicle said as I took her to work cuz my OBS daily didn’t start the other night at work and is sitting there dead. Not saying we are totally used to this but we all got warm clothes and everything is built for it and we get through it. This low of temperatures down south that far is scary. Best of luck to those people

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I hope all the rest of you guys are surviving this cold snap. This is pretty ridiculous! Just got a picture from my buddy in Austin Texas and it looks like Minnesota. Gotta be 6 inches of snow and 7 degrees. It must be Armageddon down south right now. It was -23 here this morning my wife’s vehicle said as I took her to work cuz my OBS daily didn’t start the other night at work and is sitting there dead. Not saying we are totally used to this but we all got warm clothes and everything is built for it and we get through it. This low of temperatures down south that far is scary. Best of luck to those people

Yeah, in the Ft. Worth area, it's cold as I've ever experienced. I've seen more snow, but never this low of a temp. It was 2° this morning.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was lazy with my daily. New the battery was getting weak and had a good one in my truck I’m building and never swapped em. Suspect my cap and rotor needed replacing also so Saturday night at 11 o’clock at -16 battery gave up the ghost and suspect I flooded it trying to jump it. Not even gonna bother trying to start it till wed or thur. Gonna throw a new cap and rotor on it so want it to at least be above zero. We all love OBS’s but I have to ***** about whoever designed that PIA setup.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup laying on top of the engine is not fun in normal temperatures. Can't imagine doing it in these temps. I used to have to swap rotor every 6 months or so. Plus get in the cap from time to time to wipe away moisture. Blue Streak rotor fixed the first problem; we'll see how the second one is after the arctic blast has gone back north. Supposed to be single digits tonight, back into 60s/70s by this Saturday. The Burb is probably curious what this white stuff is on its hood; I don't think it's seen snow before.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have fun driving in it anyways. Turn the stereo up and imagine u got a BA drift truck. Just don’t wait to the last minute to brake.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wednesday I’m planning on starting my drop. Gonna do rear first in buddies dad’s garage. Gotta pick up new fuel sending unit and probably fuel pump before then but can’t imagine they will be hard to come bye. Not sure if we’ll get to the front Thursday or not. Don’t have my wheels yet or even the 1/4 inch spacers I was wondering would work to get steel 16s on drop spindles to get me to the alignment shop. If anybody has pics of trimmed lower control arms I’d love seeing em.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new 20s should be here this week but I’m having them painted at a custom body shop before I get rubber on em. Initially I wanted to have them powder coated till I was quoted $500 per wheel. Not sure if that was just their way of telling me they weren’t interested or what. I only want the inner part painted keeping the outer part polished and the guy was saying there would be so much prep involved. Seems like a lot of the PC shops are milking the hell out of Covid make appointment not drop in policies making it tough to actually talk to someone. Anyways I’m figuring auto paint should hold up better than what I could do and being quoted $100 per wheel. I’m thinking since I don’t have perfect paint it could look weird with a shiny chrome bling wheel and with the factory 2 tone green and gold it wouldn’t look right with gun metal or black either. So throw another $400 at the build to get it to what I want. I definitely would have never chose this color combo if I bought this truck new. Don’t hate it, pretty rich colors I guess but still prefer many others if I was going 2 tone.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. I need to get my shop wired up so I can plug my oven in. At $500 a wheel I'll amortize that Eastwood powdercoating kit real quick! Yeah, that sounds like the "just go away" price.