C2500 Camper Special

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplesn8s

Reaction score
Hi All,
Newbie here. About 5 years ago I rescued a 1989 Cheyenne C2500 5.7 Camper Special from oblivion. I have refurbished it with the usual parts over time but the motor is tired. Probably has 300k on it. i am a minor owner of a small machine shop and use it for customer deliveries cause this beast will haul a LOAD. I want to avoid rebuilding /replacing the motor as long as possible by unscrewing the POs previous ‘repairs’. TIA for any advice. Bill

Attachments

• 05DFE5E8-4F25-42F9-9FC4-503231EAF5CD.jpeg
    05DFE5E8-4F25-42F9-9FC4-503231EAF5CD.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 12

Triplesn8s

Reaction score
The odometer broke 10 to 20 years ago at 161K. It’s all original. Have to add a quart of oil for every hour of highway Drive. But it starts every time and runs regardless of outside temperature. It was burning a ton of oil but I replaced the valve seals and that clean things up a bit but it still burns a quart an hour. One cylinder Oil fouls a plug with some regularity, especially in warmer weather.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The odometer broke 10 to 20 years ago at 161K. It’s all original. Have to add a quart of oil for every hour of highway Drive. But it starts every time and runs regardless of outside temperature. It was burning a ton of oil but I replaced the valve seals and that clean things up a bit but it still burns a quart an hour. One cylinder Oil fouls a plug with some regularity, especially in warmer weather.
Sounds like intake gaskets to me.

Triplesn8s

Reaction score
Could be I suppose. But it’s dumping so much fuel it might be washing the cylinder walls clean anyway. Need to cure the Rich running problem first I think. I posted a thread to the motor sub for him looking for help in tracking down what I believe is a missing O2 sensor.

Triplesn8s

Reaction score
Looks like you have one of similar vintage. Does it have an O2 sensor? Can you send me a photo of where the O2 sensor lead connects to the harness?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

So it's a 2 stroke.