Buy a Chevy, I Said. It Will Be Fun, I Said

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatbastard

Reaction score
I picked up a 1994 Blazer a few weeks ago. This is the second Chevy I have ever owned, the first was a 63 Nova when I was in high school so it has been a long while. I'm not really one of those guys loyal to any brand, they all have their hits and misses. These 2 door 4x4's are getting harder to find in good shape no matter what name is on them.
I have been driving a 98 Cherokee for 8 years now. It has 226 k on the clock and has only seen inside a mechanics shop three times, for alignments. I was a construction mechanic in my younger years so I know my way around a shop and still have the tools. The old XJ has been too small for me and my 3 boys for a while now. I despise car payments in general and don't need flashy junk so I went on the hunt for a cool full size 4x4 and here we are.

Back to the Blazer. 1994 Silverado with a TBI 350. I got it from the second owner who acquired it in 2002. It has 225 k on the clock. He had given it over to his step daughter and she didn't have it long before she got it hot and made a milk shake in the oil pan. I was given a file folder of receipts and he gave me most of the trucks history in a short run down. The motor she smoked was the second in this trucks life, it's a Jasper. The original motor fell to a bad experience he had with a mechanic at about 110k. Transmission was rebuilt along the way too, I haven't bothered to look when. It's got a great body with original paint and customary Arizona sunburn on the hood and roof. Solid maintenance history, no cancer, no wrecks, no leaks, un-molested wiring, no "hot rodding" except a bolt on cat back Borla system. Even if the motor and front end (balls and bushings) are shot, my particular requirements for a solid old truck had been met so I brought it home with me.

As of today, the motor is out sitting next to the reman that will go in. I joined up today because I have been lurking and looking at mods that are inexpensive, easy and increase reliability (TBI is all new to me) and I have questions. I wanted to do this now while I am throwing parts at it. I only want to do this once unless a big block LS, tranny and t-case, and a set of one tons falls from the sky. I need this as my daily sooner than that will happen so once its on the road I plan to keep it there for a good long while.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,
63 Nova -> 1994 Blazer, some of parts are probably the same. :)
Sounds like the Cherokee was stellar, the 94 Blazer will have a tough time beating that.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I like the GMT 400 2 door utes, they look like my Burb 's kids LOL

Fatbastard

Reaction score
Welcome,
63 Nova -> 1994 Blazer, some of parts are probably the same. :)
Sounds like the Cherokee was stellar, the 94 Blazer will have a tough time beating that.

I'll bet those LCA bushings are going to be about the same pain in the ass, Maybe that's it.

The Cherokee has been great but like I said, every make has their hits and misses. They are a ***** to keep cool, especially in AZ, no matter how much radiator you can stuff in them. The only reason it hasn't been in a shop is because I am fortunate enough to have a cool boss who lets me use shop space to work on it and I can take my company truck home anytime I choose (it won't haul kids though). I have decent Google Foo and just enough sense to drive and wheel it within it's limits. I'm not one of these guys who doesn't have a good time unless I break something and I know tow truck drivers work hard for their money but I prefer to get it home if I can. Like my grandpa once told me "I may have a horseshoe up my ass when it come to luck in some areas" I have done a ton of work to it and learned plenty the hard way. I am going to keep it, just not as a dd. I love it pretty hard but I cant justify anymore major repairs when it won't hold us all comfortably on long trips.

Fatbastard

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I like the GMT 400 2 door utes, they look like my Burb 's kids LOL

You know, I could have had a running 'Burb for what I paid for the Blazer, I just didn't want to go full on full size yet. I have owned FS crew cab trucks and even a Mega Cab Dodge. I bought the Cherokee as a "divorcemobile" (as in paid for and low value to a lawyer) and it settled me down on "bigger is always better".

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup, Burbs are good for hauling people and stuff, but all that big is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing. With a Burb you learn how to navigate parking lots pretty quickly. I'd like to have a Blazer/2door Tahoe, but they're hard to find.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcome: