Build a hypothetical 3500HD.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't notice the wheel base mentioned on the 550 anywhere but would adapting body mounts an engine mounts to the Ford frame be an easier task than swapping suspensions? Just a thought, might be easier/faster to strip the body/drivetrain, stretch the Ford frame, then build cab mounts an swap the body over. Plus that frame is probably rated for a higher gvw too.
I've done something similar before and I'd rather adapt the suspension rather than a drivetrain, steering and body.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of air ride were you thinking out back? I know with the bags on my dually I don't want to air it up off the overload springs or I'll lose rate and the thing will get tippy. But I also have seen folks with truck campers and commercial cab and chassis convert to air ride and not be in that boat.
I honestly don't have a plan as of yet. That is why I'd like to run the entire Ford suspension and see how it handles.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally made it to DMV today to get it registered. We plan to put Pearl's cab on this frame and do a legal VIN swap (firewall sectioning) to retain the HD's VIN. Pearl's current custom plate is linked to her VIN and Oregon no longer allows you to re-register old plates to a different vehicle so new custom plates were ordered. Unfortunately "PEARL" isn't available but PE4RL was. The 4 looks close enough to an A to be understood. We like the standard Oregon green tree license plate but I just saw this "watch for wildlife" plate today and felt like it was the right choice.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally made it to DMV today to get it registered. We plan to put Pearl's cab on this frame and do a legal VIN swap (firewall sectioning) to retain the HD's VIN. Pearl's current custom plate is linked to her VIN and Oregon no longer allows you to re-register old plates to a different vehicle so new custom plates were ordered. Unfortunately "PEARL" isn't available but PE4RL was. The 4 looks close enough to an A to be understood. We like the standard Oregon green tree license plate but I just saw this "watch for wildlife" plate today and felt like it was the right choice.
Didn’t realize you were in Oregon!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a story here but I'm too tired to tell it. Cliff notes. Kept the HD running for 1000 miles fighting issues. The F450 loading was super easy with 2 forklifts. The HD tows awesome except for 6.5 life.... We'll be home tomorrow as planned as long as the 6.5 plays along.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
There is a story here but I'm too tired to tell it. Cliff notes. Kept the HD running for 1000 miles fighting issues. The F450 loading was super easy with 2 forklifts. The HD tows awesome except for 6.5 life.... We'll be home tomorrow as planned as long as the 6.5 plays along.

I'm enjoying the tag-along here. Safe travels back home.