Buffalo NY??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copart is an insurance auction. I bought WCJr from Copart.

Just remember, if you're not a dealer Copart's fees run about 50% on top of your buying price. Bid accordingly.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah bro you're probably right should i check some place like copart?

Greetings BigJ04,

I'm with Nad. As a fellow rust-belter, you get so much more of the original factory strength
(and longer lifespan) if you bring home a southern truck. And when you work on it
you will feel like you're adding to the initial investment instead of throwing away good
money after bad. :-(

So FWIW here's a website that I've found helpful in tracking down some desirable Unicorns.
It is the 'cargurus' website, and although it's default behavior is to show you all the local stuff
within a 25/50/100 mile radius, here's how I figured out how to (mis)use it to better suit
my needs.

Here's a hypothetical example. Let's say that I have the burn for a southern C/K 2500 truck,
and I've decided that all the cleanest ones are to be found in Fort Worth, TX. So what you
do is enter in 76108 for the zip code, set up the radius for a couple hundred miles, and Voila!
here's a search result I did a minute ago in ~15 seconds:

You must be registered for see images attach

Pick Phoenix. Or Albuquerque. Or a city down south with friends or family living there.
When you are trying to figure out what you really want to spend, figure in a 1-way plane
ticket, food, lodging, & fuel back home as part of the total cost. No truck & trailer to go
get it? 1 way plane ticket, get taken to the nearest U-Haul from the airport (set this all up
beforehand) pick up the truck/car dolly setup waiting for you, get your rust-free ride, and
bring it home.

And if the vehicle is healthy enough to be driven home, after you sign all the papers just make
sure and call your insurance company and add it to your policy before you set off. Done right,
you can set yourself up with a lifetime ride, complete with ridiculous stories about your adventures,
sometimes for a lot less total out of pocket cost than trying to outbid your neighbors for anything
cleaner than it should be up here in upstate NY.

One more thing. The better you figure out how to get the filters to work for you, the more powerful
the tool. For example, ~4 years ago I got it in my head that I wanted a utility AWD DD, and for me an
older Honda CR-V was going to be my sacrificial salt car. But at the same time I did *not* want an automatic.

So here's the punchline. Using the cargurus website, at the time I discovered that there were a grand total of
27,000+ used CR-Vs for sale. After a couple of daze of sifting though the nationwide haystack looking for
a specific needle, viewing endless vehicles I didn't want, I figured out the Filters, and once I clicked on 'Manual'
the list shortened down to exactly *52* available for sale.

I looked at all 52, was ready to go from Syracuse to Tucson if need be...and the cleanest one was in
New Hampshire of all places. It was priced right, so I bought it based on the pics, drove out the following
weekend, and exchanged my old rust-weakened/no longer collision worthy '90 Civic hatchback (and $4500)
for a 12 year newer CR-V. So glad I found it.

If I didn't have this 24-30mpg utility vehicle for all my light duty errands, there's no way I could have afforded
to scratch the itch for a 2500HD machine and then try to use that as my DD. So now I have 2 older vehicles providing
backup for each other. 2 older cars can = the reliability of one newer, 10x more expensive vehicle. Sometimes
better, depending upon what kind of luck you have with your new vehicle. Makes sense to me. :0)

It's all in the search. Craigslist, ebay, cargurus, etc. Figure out exactly what your priorities are, set the filters
to match, and go get it. Been doing this for years for myself & friends, it's always a hoot. :0)

Happy Hunting --

Attachments

• 17-Jun-2022 '02 CR-V beauty shot (sml).jpg
    17-Jun-2022 '02 CR-V beauty shot (sml).jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 5-speed in 5th (sml).jpg
    5-speed in 5th (sml).jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: