Broken radiator drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says my drain plug snapped in half and i lost all coolant. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get the rest out?
You must be registered for see images attach

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season coming.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to grasp the photo, But my first coolant change Circa 2001, I snapped the tab, thinking the plug would completely come out. It dose not. Twist and drain. No YouTube, Hanes was not a help. Rad will have to come out. Do not think one can get the part. Keep us informed. Next coolant change, going to pain in the ass pop the lower rad hose.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am taking the radiator this weekend to see if i can get it. Autosone had the replacement drain plug

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Looks like a giant flatblade screwdriver might do it. I don't remember if my current radiator even has one. I know the last one didn't. I'd probably epoxy over the rest if I couln't get it out easily. Does it leak?
Hanes was not a help.

Do you mean Haynes? Hanes is the underwear company :biggrin:

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it drained my whole radiator. The epoxy isnt a bad idea if i cant get it out cause the radiator is in great shape However i worry antifreeze would eat threw the epoxy

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes it drained my whole radiator. The epoxy isnt a bad idea if i cant get it out cause the radiator is in great shape However i worry antifreeze would eat threw the epoxy

I doubt it would hurt the epoxy. I'd worry more about it not being able to stick to whatever plastic the tank is made out of. I was thinking of just burying the plug remains, actually. If you can get it out, you can just get a new plug.