brakes lock up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Don't know if the 'big' trucks are the same as the 1/2t's, but neither of my trucks have the little window on the backing plate to adjust the brakes. Not even a knock-out provided. Have to pull the drums, adjust, replace the drums & listen for that slightly touching, scraping sound of the drums against the shoes. PITA!!!

Huh that's odd. Both my 94' 1/2 ton and my 96' 3/4 ton have had the slot. IIRC i had to knock it out on my 96', 94' had the rubber plug in it already. But I agree they're a pain. I so wish GM would've put disc all around like the GMT800's.

EDIT: Had a memory lapse. My 94' did not have the slot in the correct place, must've been thinking of some other truck I did brakes on. Had to do the whole fiasco same as sewlow58, thanks a bunch GM!!

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
14 bolt full floater has a slot on the bottom of the backing plate and the adjuster is on the bottom.

I just double checked my 98.

Here's some pirated pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Easily visible is the star wheel on the bottom and the adjustment slot behind it.

As you can see on the top, the slave cylinder takes up all the space and it's a simple spreader bar on the shoe backing.

However, the 10 bolt looks like no slot and a PITA:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited: