brakes lock up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ok guys the back brakes on the new truck are always locking up and its like the rear is getting way too much power sent to um. Its a FF 14 bolt anyway i could turn um down or somthin, brakes are the thing i really don't understand.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Try turning down the adjuster for the brake shoes. There's a little slot in the backing plate below where the axle goes in (there might be a rubber plug in it, just pull it out). Stick a small screwdriver in there and turn the gear looking wheel back a few turns.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
ok thanks man just a normal flathead?

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
No problem. Yup just a plain old flathead, whatever size fits in there.

I forgot one thing in my earlier post. You're gonna have to use 2 screwdrivers. One to push back the "keeper bar" (idk what it's technically called). It's the bar that fits into the groves on the gear wheel. Just push that back with one, and use the other to turn the wheel.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Don't know if the 'big' trucks are the same as the 1/2t's, but neither of my trucks have the little window on the backing plate to adjust the brakes. Not even a knock-out provided. Have to pull the drums, adjust, replace the drums & listen for that slightly touching, scraping sound of the drums against the shoes. PITA!!!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Don't know if the 'big' trucks are the same as the 1/2t's, but neither of my trucks have the little window on the backing plate to adjust the brakes. Not even a knock-out provided. Have to pull the drums, adjust, replace the drums & listen for that slightly touching, scraping sound of the drums against the shoes. PITA!!!

my 98 had that rubber plug i just didn't know what it was

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 97 has no provision for a knock out where it needs to be.

In other news..... Is it both sides or just one side?