brake peddle vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of cases of front end/brake shudder can be traced back to rusted caliper pins/caliper bushings/bracket holes,, and the rub surfaces on the brackets.
Very important that the calipers be able to slide freely from side-to-side.
Good to use new pins when you do a brake job.
Use Syl-Glide to lubricate those parts.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it is the new rotors. I was hoping not, since they were ordered from rock auto.

how can I check them?
First make sur that all of the front end parts are good. Ball joints, hub bearings and steering components.Remove the calipers and hang them out off the way. Make sure that the hub surface is clean, make sure that the back of the rotor mounting surface is clean and free of any surface irregularities. HAND torque the rotor on to proper speciation's and then rotate the rotor buy hand and read the total runout while watching your dial indicator. I look for less than .003 thousands of an inch.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
1)I replaced the speed sensor tonight, unplugged the battery and the brake light is off. Now, I didnt drive it too long so it may come back on.

2) the pulsing is in the pedal big time, but prior to replacing the drums, it was in my ass. I need to pay attention to exactly what is going on but I do know its different the a rotor pulse, it doesn't seem to change with speed.

thank you guys. This is frustrating. I love this truck. I bought it used and it reminds me of the first (and only) new truck my dad ever bought; a 1993 K2500 in the sane Victory Red. 5 sp, mines a auto

Your vibration has to change with speed as there is nothing on a truck that runs at a constant speed that can induce a vibration in the brake pedal.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1)I replaced the speed sensor tonight, unplugged the battery and the brake light is off. Now, I didnt drive it too long so it may come back on.

2) the pulsing is in the pedal big time, but prior to replacing the drums, it was in my ass. I need to pay attention to exactly what is going on but I do know its different the a rotor pulse, it doesn't seem to change with speed.

thank you guys. This is frustrating. I love this truck. I bought it used and it reminds me of the first (and only) new truck my dad ever bought; a 1993 K2500 in the sane Victory Red. 5 sp, mines a auto

We get square drums and rotors all the time, every brand we have used we get em from time to time.on my personal vehicles I put new rotors and drums on the lathe before I even install them. Sucks but sounds like that's what's happening. Easy way to tell is carefully pinch rear brake hose off so u isolate the rear brakes and only use the fronts, at highways speed barely ease into the brake slightly . If the peddle "humps" it's your front rotors, if it doesn't then it's in the rear.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Evilunclegrimace offered the best solution IMO. Otherwise I'd just take it to a mechanic. Personally I am not a fan of pinching off brake lines to try and diagnose a problem, especially operating at anything close to highway speeds. Sounds like a great way to create a bigger problem in one way or another.

Motorgod0

Reaction score
I’m no expert and I’m fairly new to this site so take this for what it’s worth. I had a similar problem. I removed and replace the tire. Made sure all the lugs were torqued down to spec and made certain they were torqued in a star/cross crossed pattern. Problem went away.

westsoundred

Reaction score
The new speed sensor seems to have dealt with the flashing brake light.

The new drums that are warped is really annoying tho. Do i fork over $150 for LS to grind them or demand replacements from Rock Auto? Im leaning the latter.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
The new speed sensor seems to have dealt with the flashing brake light.

The new drums that are warped is really annoying tho. Do i fork over $150 for LS to grind them or demand replacements from Rock Auto? Im leaning the latter.

If some one is charging you 150 bucks to resurface drums RUN!!! .You can buy replacements for less.